Using a secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
I have an IPA in the primary right now. All the foam has settled down, and it was pitched six days ago. I know that fermentation is still taking place, but when can I rack to a secondary? I want to dry hop in a secondary, but if I rack off of the yeast cake to early will I lose to much fermentation? I know what to check the gravity before bottling, but am unclear if this same rule applies to dry hopping, or racking to a secondary. Is there a general time line or rule I should follow before doing a final check with the hydrameter?

Wait until it's done fermenting and you have hit your FG. secondary's are really only for clearing up the beer or dry hopping/adding Fruit. A lot of people including myself don't use secondaries just leave it in primary and dry hop there. Less chance of contamination and adding oxygen to your beer. But of course that's your decision.

You can dry hop in the primary too. You'll get the same effect as dry hopping in a secondary.

The only reason to rack the beer is if you want to harvest the yeast before adding the dry hops.

Dry hopping in the primary means you don't need to figure out what is the right time. You could dry hop now and be bottling next week.

It is also a misconception that racking to secondary clears the beer quicker. It actually makes it slower. Some of the finer particles take a long time to settle, and when you rack to secondary, those particles that have taken a long time to settle, and almost made it to the bottom (but not quite), are mixed back in having to start the settling process all over again.

Back