using a secondary to lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flabyboy

Reaction score
Is it necessary to rack my lager to a secondary to go thru the lagering phase? I know a lot of people don't even use secondaries, but how long can you actually leave the beer on top of the trube before you get some unpleasant flavors? As of right now my plan is to let it ferment @55 degrees 3/4 of the way down and then bring it inside for a couple days @64 degrees for a diacetyl rest. Then bring it back out and slowly turn the temp down over a week to 35 degrees for lagering. I just can't decide if I should rack to the secondary or not. Any advice? Is the rest of my brewing process sound for a lager?

Is it necessary to rack my lager to a secondary to go thru the lagering phase? I know a lot of people don't even use secondaries, but how long can you actually leave the beer on top of the trube before you get some unpleasant flavors? As of right now my plan is to let it ferment @55 degrees 3/4 of the way down and then bring it inside for a couple days @64 degrees for a diacetyl rest. Then bring it back out and slowly turn the temp down over a week to 35 degrees for lagering. I just can't decide if I should rack to the secondary or not. Any advice? Is the rest of my brewing process sound for a lager?

I always rack a lager off of the yeast cake immediately following the diacetyl rest. I'm not so quick with ales, but I think that lagers are much "cleaner" tasting and should be free of yeast character so I get the beer off of the yeast cake as soon as it's ready. I can't think of any benefit to keeping it on the trub any longer, and certainly not during the lagering phase.

I've been making lagers recently. I ferment for 3 wks, lager at 30F for 3 wks. I think they come out very excellent. I made several batches of German Pilsner recently that are spot-on.

I don't use a secondary. Mine come out very clear, with very little yeast sediment, after the cold-crash.

I drop the temp overnight to lagering temps. I don't know why people do this over a week.

I do a month in primary, then rack my lagers off the yeast after a d-rest as well. BUT there are a few folks on here who do lager in primary. I would have to say, do what works for you.

thanks for all your help. i think I will rack it. that way I can free up my bucket for my next batch of ale. I see most of you ferment much longer than what is instructed by the kits. My kit says ferment 10-14 days, but that obviously depends on FG readings. when do you move it inside for the rest? I have read that you want to do it right before fermentation stops

another quick question. do you guys have problems with the water or vodka in the airlock going into the carboy when moving the lager back out into the cold after the rest?

I had that problem the first time I cold crashed a beer, so when I started lagering, I bought an S-shaped air-lock. Suck-back really can't happen with that style of air-lock.

Latest posts

Back