Using a 20oz paintball tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theschick

Reaction score
Okay, this will show my lack of knowledge. I just purchased a basic kegging kit, and also an adapter from going from my regulator to a paintball tank. So, I attached the regulator to the adapter, then the adapter to the tank. I'm guessing the tank "opens" from the little pin in the adapter. However, I'm not seeing any pressure when I open up the regulator valve. Everything is brand new, and the tank was just filled.

What am I missing, other than perhaps a few brain cells?

You screw that knob down (clock-wise) to allow the CO2 to pass into the regulator, not up (counter-clock-wise) like on a welding tank CO2 bottle.

AnOldUR - what knob are you talking about? The dial on the regulator, or the little nut on the side of the paintball tank (I think it says "3k only")

Okay, this will show my lack of knowledge. I just purchased a basic kegging kit, and also an adapter from going from my regulator to a paintball tank. So, I attached the regulator to the adapter, then the adapter to the tank. I'm guessing the tank "opens" from the little pin in the adapter. However, I'm not seeing any pressure when I open up the regulator valve. Everything is brand new, and the tank was just filled.

What am I missing, other than perhaps a few brain cells?

If you have a two gauge regulator, you won't see anything till you screw in the paint ball cylinder all the way.

To show pressure for the keg, turn the knob clockwise, like AnOldUR said.

Paintball_Regulator_Kit1.jpg

Oops! I didn't realize there were two different styles of adaptor for the 20oz tanks. Which do you have?

Thanks for the addition Ed.

Edit to say:
I have the same one that I posted above, but with two gauges.

AnOldUR, I don't have a regulator like that, I'm using one similar to Ed's with an adapter. In fact Ed, I'm actually doing all this to replicate your portable setup with the keglove.

It sounds like I'm doing it right then. I've tightened the regulator with adapter as far as I can onto the Co2. The I adjusted the regulator valve clockwise. Nothing happens.

I've tightened the regulator with adapter as far as I can onto the Co2. The I adjusted the regulator valve clockwise. Nothing happens.
The high pressure gauge should read as soon as you tighten it down. All that I can think of is that it must not be all the way down. There's a o-ring on there that may make it feel tight before it actually is seated. Also a pin has to depress a plunger on the tank and it takes a bit of force.

Here are the pieces:

IMG_3259.JPG

I'm looking at where it connects on the regulator. Is there supposed to be a hole here?
IMG_3260.JPG

I wonder if the pin on the adapter is "bad", like made too short to reach the pin on the tank.

First, I would weight the tank to make sure it is full. It should have the Tare weight stamped on it. The weight should be Tare weight plus 20 oz.

Next, never lay your tank on its side with the regulator connected. Liquid CO2 can flow into your regulator and damage it.

I got my adapter from Williams Brewing. It replaces the post on the regulator. When I screw in the tank, I keep rotating quickly and I hear the pssst of the gas and then it stops when the gasket is sealed.

I wonder if the pin on the adapter is "bad", like made too short to reach the pin on the tank.
Could be. Do you have a way to measure?

When you tighten that adapter down on the tank is the hex on the tank flush with the hex on the adapter?

Thanks guys! I decided to grab the vise grips and just keep tightening. I finally heard the co2 go, and the regulator is now reading the pressure. I just didn't expect it to take that much force to tighten it down, I thought I was going to break something.

Yeah. Got to figure there's like 800 or so PSI pushing on that valve.

Good to hear you got it working.
Will you be using that to carb or just serve?

where did you get the pieces from?? And how long will that tank last you??

Lots of the online brew shops sell everything. I just happened to get the adapter at www.keglove.com, since I was purchasing a keglove from them. The adapter is a little cheaper at rebelbrewer (a vendor here) http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/search.php?search_query=paintball&x=0&y=0

I picked up the other kegging pieces at kegconnection.com

Not sure how long the 20oz tank will last, but I imagine at least a few kegs, since all its doing is dispensing beer, not carbonating.

Back