sodastream or paintball tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
planning to build a mini portable keg set up. using two 1.6 gal mini kegs in an old rubbermaid cooler. Wanting a compact co2 source that will fit inside the cooler. It seems the paintball tanks are more popular than the sodastream tanks.

From what I can dig up, the paintball tanks are G1/2 valves/threads and sodastream uses TR21-4. So not really interchangeable unless you start getting into adapters.

What is most common for you guys? Is there a preference and why?

I kinda think the paintball is more popular, probably because of capacity (20 vs 14 oz) or maybe just cheaper to put together.

But I really need it to fit inside the keg cooler. space will be tight. one is taller but the other is wider. I think either will fit but without an actual "test bottle" it's just a guess.

I kinda think the paintball is more popular, probably because of capacity (20 vs 14 oz) or maybe just cheaper to put together.
You might want to check that you can get a paintball tank filled. I talked with a few guys at my club. The Dicks Sporting Goods stopped refilling tanks and the local paintball place seems to have moved over to using compressed air tanks. So they don't have a source for refills anymore.

I am looking at building a portable keg setup (hopefully around the 4L kegs from Kegland). The Soda Stream tanks look appealing, but man the price starts to add up. I think when I did some math, they were not much better off in cost vs the disposable mini cartridges. That was based on the cheapest cost I could find for a company where you mailed back your empty Soda Stream tanks.

Or do you plan to refill your own tanks?

Or do you plan to refill your own tanks?
I think that's an integral part of the system.
Use a regular 20# CO2 tank upside down to fill 2 or 3 paintball or Sodastream bottles per session.

Alternatively use a 2.5# CO2 tank. But it won't fit inside the jockey box, but may strap along a side. You still have the clunky regulator on top too.

I am not sure how comfortable I would be with refilling my own tanks. I know some people do it though.

Another idea I saw, that I will likely try, is to use a second keg or something like a 2L soda bottle. Purge it and fill that to ~30 PSI (depending on what the vessel can hold), then use one of the Kegland Duotight In-Line Regulator with Gauge devices to control the pressure to the serving keg. I am pretty sure somebody posted about that here and said it worked well to dispense a mini-keg.

yes, self refill if the plan. I have like 9-10 20# tanks. I refill the one pounder propane bottles all the time. There are adapters for self refilling the sodastream and G1/2 paintball tanks too.

but, basically, I want it all to fit inside...CO2 and all.

Here is what I am working with. I had an old Rubbermaid cooler (gifted from a friend years ago) with insullated top and nicely fits 2 mini 1.6 kegs that I already had. I'm just using a short hose and picnic taps, so just flip the lid and fill your glass. Wanting to find a mini tank with mini reg that can slide into the gap between the kegs.

Last edited:
Another idea I saw, that I will likely try, is to use a second keg or something like a 2L soda bottle. Purge it and fill that to ~30 PSI (depending on what the vessel can hold), then use one of the Kegland Duotight In-Line Regulator with Gauge devices to control the pressure to the serving keg. I am pretty sure somebody posted about that here and said it worked well to dispense a mini-keg.
That's an excellent alternative to using liquid CO2 canisters!
Another 1.6 gallon mini keg charged to 60 psi can easily push out two 1.6 gallon mini kegs at 15 psi, with the capacity of a 3rd one to spare.

20230205_181743.jpg
20230205_181739.jpg
20230205_181754.jpg

I suppose a could buy a slightly bigger ice chest to hold a pony CO2 tank. But the idea is to be compact, yet effective. Plus I already have the chest.

For now, just using a big CO2 tank and keep adding CO2 after a few pours. Effective but annoying.

I use sodastream exclusively for my kegerator and it works great. I don't have a car and there are no places close to the train line or in bikeable distance to refill a full size tank, and the shops near me sell/refull SS tanks.

There are good adapters available, and one SS tank can dispense 3-4 cornies no problem.

might just go with the CO2 cartridges and mini reg. a 16gram one will push a whole keg or more. I hate the idea of throw away but at a buck a pop...might just be the way to go.

plus I have a "Super Handy" 1.3 growler I recently bought that already uses those. It's on Walmart for way less than Amazon.

It is intended for occasional use, camping trips, parties, etc.

Back