Using 2 yeast strains - Specific gravity help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoreHopsPlz

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to make my 4th extract batch (5 gallon) this weekend and my 1st attempt at a porter.

The opening gravity should be 1.088 and the expected final gravity 1.025

The temp this will be fermenting in will be 68-70 F.

The recipe calls for an Ale yeast like 1056 from Wyeast to start and then an English Ale yeast like Wyeast 1968 "when the specific gravity is about 1.064"

I was going to use 2 Wyeast 1056 smack packs to pitch 200 billion yeast to start and then add 1 Wyeast 1968 at SG 1.064.

1) If I am unable to check with my hydrometer, is there a calculation to estimate the time it will take to get the beer to 1.064 given 200 billion yeast at this temperature and specific gravity starting at 1.088 in 5 gallons?

2) The total yeast count will start at 200 billion and then go to 300 billion when I add the 1968 strain. Is this OK with a opening gravity of 1.088? Should I initially pitch with more (I read that beer flavor will change depending on # of yeast / under pitch vs over pitch - though have no experience with this)?

Thanks for your time in helping me out,

-MHP

So I'm not sure why the recipe is saying start with 1056 and then pitch another strain of yeast altogether. If I were brewing a porter, I would just start with an english ale strain of some form, make a nice healthy starter to make sure the yeast stands a chance in the higher gravity environment and then just let it go for a week at around 68 degrees. Transfer to secondary once the gravity has stabilized, then secondary for a couple weeks. Sorry I didn't really mean to dissuade you from going with what the recipe said, but it just seemed a little unnecessary to me. Hope that helps.

Cheers!

^ This. I'd be more prone to buying two packs of a yeast that I thought would play well in my porter (I'm borderline lazy about starters...I'd rather pitch more yeast packs/vials), vs. two different yeasts. For a Porter with an English angle, I'd consider either 1968 or 1028 if you want to dry it out, pitch appropriate amount of that and call it a day.

I'm not an expert, but if you go the dual-strain approach, I wouldn't be concerned about the addition of the 1968/secondary strain. I'd focus on getting the initial pitch correct, and then add a reasonable (one healthy pack / vial) of the second yeast.

My two cents. Either way, pitch some form of healthy yeast and you'll have beer!

A little further explanation:
Let's say you pitch 200B of yeast #1 which takes off and multiplies , creating a much higher number(how many? IDK but probably in the trillions). Then a couple days later you pitch 100B of a 2nd yeast. The 2nd addition is likely to be overwhelmed by the 1st yeast and not contribute very much to the overall fermentation . That's one reason we can sanitize and not sterilize- the initial yeast pitch overwhelms any other organisms that might be hanging around in small numbers.
But, in answer to your Q- how much later will your SG be at 1.064? Impossible to say without taking a sample to check SG. But my guess, based on my typical fermentations which are usually close to FG by 5 days, I would say on day2.

If you are contemplating pitching two different yeasts throughout the fermentation process but have yet to own a hydrometer, then, perhaps you should start with something simple... i.e. something that doesn't involve 2 different yeasts in the same batch. Sorry if I'm coming across like a ******, but this being your 4th batch you might want to build a recipe database that you can build and hone rather than go for something that is almost entirely induplicable.

Thanks for the input.

I sent the question off to the company that makes the porter and the brewer end up responding - they pitch the second yeast at 24 hours - though I know the rate of gravity change is affected by so many variables. I was able to pitch the second close to 36 hours. Bumped up fermentation some. Excited to try it. Next time I hope to be closer to home to check every 12 hours or so just to learn more about the process.

Appreciate the help,

MHP

Back