Specific gravity help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SedatedAardvark

Reaction score
I'm currently in a situation where taking gravity readings is just not possible. Is there any way someone will be able to tell me roughly what the specific gravity is for a project I'm working on. It's 3.5 gallons of ocean spray cranberry juice with 6 lbs of sugar added. I don't have the tools needed and can't get them and I've already started so even I could get the right tools it's too late

Take the listed amount of sugar per serving on the label, multiply that up to you 3.5 gallon mark and plug in to Brewers Friend, Brewfather or a recipe calculator of your choosing and that should give you the Gravity contribution of the juice itself. Then plug in the 6lbs of sugar you have and you're good to go.

Which cranberry juice from OS is it?

The specific gravity of any standard juice from a grocery is approximately 1.045 (plus or minus a few points).

Additional sugar adds about 46 more points per pound per gallon. A pound added to 3.5 gallons will add 46/3.5 = 13.14 points. Multiplied by 6, it will add 79 points.

So if you started at approximately 1.045 then added 6 more pounds & 79 points, you'll end up with an original specific gravity of about 1.124.

To make things a little more complicated, the sugar itself also adds volume. If you actually ended up with 4 gallons instead of 3.5 gallons, you might have a lower gravity closer to 1.114.

It will be somewhere around these values.

The specific gravity of any standard juice from a grocery is approximately 1.045 (plus or minus a few points).

Additional sugar adds about 46 more points per pound per gallon. A pound added to 3.5 gallons will add 46/3.5 = 13.14 points. Multiplied by 6, it will add 79 points.

So if you started at approximately 1.045 then added 6 more pounds & 79 points, you'll end up with an original specific gravity of about 1.124.

To make things a little more complicated, the sugar itself also adds volume. If you actually ended up with 4 gallons instead of 3.5 gallons, you might have a lower gravity closer to 1.114.

It will be somewhere around these values.
Perfect! Thank you so so much. It did end up being about 4 gallons in the end.

Back