using 007 for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
I have a beautiful starter on the stir plate ready for Sundays brew. I have a bunch of different grains incl: M otter, pilsener and 2 row plus a handful of character grains. Having never used 007 before what would you brew with it? I'm thinking of a Stone clone but need some ideas. Vanilla porter? IPA? Any good recipes using this yeast or should I take a pretty good pale ale recipe I made up and instead of using 001 use 007 and see what transpires?

I like 007 in an IPA as it really accentuates the malt to balance the hops. I've done an AB clone several different ways and really enjoyed it. Some of those are in the recipe database - check that out if you are leaning that direction. Have a Surly Furious clone in primary right now using it as well that I think is going to be fantastic based on the hydro samples. I'm not sure about it in an APA as I'm not sure it will dry it out enough for that style - but never tried it before. Give it a shot and see what you think!

I used 007 for the first time last weekend for a Sticke Alt (pils, munich, etc.). Made a 2L starter two days beforehand, and after pitching at 60 degrees the beast took off in about 4 hours. It was flying for about 3-4 days and just settled to a crawl yesterday. I'm going to let it ride for another week or two and then dry hop for a week before lagering.

thanks, I'm reading that it attenuates pretty well. Doesn't that mean that it should bring the gravity down enough to dry out a pale ale?

In my experience, mid to low 70's is what I get with this yeast - where 001 I get closer to 80. For a big beer i find it strikes a nice balance, but like my APA's pretty dry. That said, give it a try and let me know how it turns out. I love the malt character with this yeast and it flocculates like modeling clay!

Latest posts

Back