use glass beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uptonparkfan

Reaction score
does anyone use beer bottles u get from shops when buy beer.is ok too clear bottle or better use amber bottles

Most people re-use bottles from beer they bought. Definitely amber bottles are better, but if there isn't light exposure, clear can work. Just make sure they're pop tops not twist-offs. You usually don't get as good of a seal with twist-offs (some people can and do).

I use amber bottles for beer, and clear bottles for cider. I have a few cases of the old returnable longnecks (stronger than current production bottles), but they are collecting dust in my basement; the disposable bottles work just fine as long as they are not twistoffs.

Amber bottles saved from old 6 packs I've purchased have always worked well. I use bottles from one brewery, that way they all match; makes bottling and storage much easier.

You'll find some brand's labels will come off easier than others.
Just soak the bottles in Oxyclean and water and the labels will come right off (most will, anyway).
Be sure to clean them out thoroughly and sanitize before filling.

My first batch was done with the brown PET bottles included in a starter kit.

I've since gone to 3 or 4 cases of 22oz. brown glass. I will use a PET bottle from the original kit I have to judge carbonation in the glass bottles, otherwise, brown glass is all I feel the need to use.
Absolutely refuse to use green bottles because I hate the idea of skunking beer, even though some people like the taste and smell.

does anyone use beer bottles u get from shops when buy beer.is ok too clear bottle or better use amber bottles

It is far more common for homebrewers to use glass than PET bottles.

Most will collect and de-label commercial bottles.

Amber is most common. Light will skunk your beer so if you use clear bottles you have to take steps to keep them out of the light.

You will need a capper and crimp on caps. You have to take special steps to use a twist off bottle. You need ones with crimp on caps.

Ask your friends to save bottles for you. I got several hundred that way.

1 liter plastic tonic water and club soda bottles work great too. No special equipment needed for capping, just reuse the original caps. They are clear, so you have to keep them out of the sun, but I think PET stops more UV light than clear glass does.

Yep, as others have said, reusing the 12oz beer bottles with the pop-off caps is fine. I use both 1Liter PET and 12oz glass bottles, most of the 12oz bottles are from my boss after a long weekend or some other type of celebration in exchange for some home-brewed beer as that usually helps in the bottle offers.

I used the amber PET bottles that came with my Cooper's Micro Brew kit for the first couple batches. Went to bulk priming with second batch. Started saving amber pop top bottles with that second batch as well. My older son also saved case boxes for me to put them in, as they take up less area than craft 12 pack boxes.
I use a 5 gallon bucket of room temp water to cover the bottles a couple inches, to which 3-4 TBSP's of PBW is added too. Soaks many labels off in an hour, dissolving or greatly softening glue. This makes cleaning them with a bottle brush & a Dobie brand scrubber easy. :tank:

According to PS2, Cooper's tech guy, their PET bottles are good for 8 months filled per use. I had a couple boxes of them I traded to a fellow member for a BB he wasn't using. He went on to say they're lined with nylon to aid in O2 absorption. I just went to glass 12oz bottles for convenience over time.:mug:

I'd avoid using plastic as it doesn't last long-term.

Tree huggers and environmental scientists disagree with you.:)

I still use the 750ml amber PET bottles that came with my Cooper's kit (bought in 2012). I never bottle a whole batch with them and those are the bottles I drink first. So far I haven't tasted any difference between the beer bottled in glass vs. plastic.

3-4 months is as long as I ever aged beer in plastic. I wouldn't go much longer than that.

Tree huggers and environmental scientists disagree with you.:)

I still use the 750ml amber PET bottles that came with my Cooper's kit (bought in 2012). I never bottle a whole batch with them and those are the bottles I drink first. So far I haven't tasted any difference between the beer bottled in glass vs. plastic.

3-4 months is as long as I ever aged beer in plastic. I wouldn't go much longer than that.

I'm a tree-hugger, but I've eliminated all plastic from my system (apart from bottling bucket and airlocks of course). I don't need to list reasons why glass bottles are better cause you've probably heard it all before

Plastic bottles eventually leach O2 through the plastic. Glass doesn't. But the Cooper's bottles being designed to hold that off for 8 months ids saying a lot, though.:rockin:

Back