Use for junk kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty_g

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While cleaning and reconditioning our supply of used kegs yesterday, we found that one of them will not seal up. Apparently while being shipped some banding squeezed the top of the keg, and the opening is now not the right shape. The long dimension is now slightly shorter and the short dimension is slightly wider, so the lid can't press the gasket enough.

I have no illusions that there's a good way to fix this keg. Besides, 11 is enough (for now). Has anyone found a good use for a slightly dented keg that doesn't seal?

If you are talking about a cornie, they make dandy containers for growing Japanese radishes.

I haven't tried to squeeze it back into shape. It seems like any time you try to straighten or re-round anything it's still never quite right. There may be enough wiggle room available on the corny lid gasket, but I don't know...and I'm not willing to lose a batch of beer on not turning the lid *just* enough.

There was another keg in that batch that had a blown pressure relief valve so we ended up taking the good keg and good lid. This was the first bad keg we had in 12 used ones so that's not a bad batting average.

Latest posts

Back