Use bottling bucket with conical fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beuchat.jose

Reaction score
Hello,

I've a grainfather g30 and a conical fermenter. I put 3 batches in bottles directly from the fermenter after adding priming sugar.

I had several issues with my last brew (a NEIPA) containing a lot of particles in the bottles and having a wrong color (too dark, oxidation?).

Would it help to first transfer the beer in a bottling bucket and then add the sugar?
Wouldn't it increase the oxidation to transfer the beer if i don't use co2?
Or should I keep bottling from the fermenter and use carbonation drops in order to avoid stirring what is in my conical fermenter?

Thank you! :)

Yes, a bottling bucket is going to result in more exposure to oxygen than your current process. The carbonation drops (or just a measured 1/2 teaspoon of sugar) individually dosed into bottles should reduce your issue with trub, at least in the majority of the bottles. And further reduce oxidation as well.

Yes, a bottling bucket is going to result in more exposure to oxygen than your current process. The carbonation drops (or just a measured 1/2 teaspoon of sugar) individually dosed into bottles should reduce your issue with trub, at least in the majority of the bottles. And further reduce oxidation as well.

Hello. Thank you for your answer! :)

You would completly avoid bottling bucket? Isn't half a teaspoon per bottle a bit random?

What would be the perfect setup?

I did many errors the first time and now i want to try this:
-Split dry hopping in 3 times and start when gravity is at 1.020.
-Do it without bags (loose) to avoid oppening the fermenter too much.
-Purge after 3-4 days using a balloon to avoid o2 to go in.
-Cold crash 3 days (?) before bottling. Again with balloon.

and then back to my question, the bottling:
-Add 7.5 gr priming sugar per liter in the fermenter (or bottling bucket + balloon). But here I don't know how to avoid o2 to go in.
-Stir x times during bottling to make sure sugar is evenly distributed. is that really necessary? i have to open the fermenter for that and it also introduces o2.
-Fill the bottles as much as possible (had really a lot of headspace last time)
-Try to add co2 in headspace? Not sure what's the best way to achieve that.

Last edited:
You would completly avoid bottling bucket? Isn't half a teaspoon per bottle a bit random?
Some brewers make a syrup of sugar in water and then measure out the bottle additions with a syringe - that allows you to get a fairly accurate measurement if you want to fine tune the carbonation. And you still eliminate the bottling bucket. But many brewers use a bottling bucket and are happy with the results.

Back