Use and Procurement of Spices Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never used tamarind so I can't you there.

Look for hibiscus in the mexican section of your grocery store. The stores near me have 3 oz packages of hibiscus there. I steeped the flowers in hot water and made a tea that was added after fermentation was over for a saison. It is pretty strong stuff so you can taste as you add it

You can go two ways with tamarind.

You can use "paste" either bought in a block or jar, or messily removed from the seed. You can find paste in most Indian, Mexican or Thai groceries or online. If so, you should make a "tea," steeping the tamarind in hot water till it completely dissolves. Add around 15 minutes till end of boil.

Or you can buy concentrate. I used a Thai tamarind concentrate purchased at an Indian grocery for my 60-Minute Tamarindia Ale.

Fifth in my brew queue is Joe Stange's Hibiscus Mango Blonde. I was planning to use Republic of Tea Hibiscus Superflower™ Tea.

Back