US05 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
How many packets of us05 for 10 gallons wort at 1.065?

Is there a dry yeast calculator?
Thanks!

How many packets of us05 for 10 gallons wort at 1.065?

Thanks!

So I use Homebrew Dad's Online Yeast Starter Calculator

I know that 11g packets have approximately 200 billion yeasty friends inside. According to the yeast calculator you need 452 billion cells, so 2 will get the job done...if you're paranoid about it throw in a third but whats 50 billion yeasts between friends?

Lallemand Pitching Rate Calculator (link)

Fermentis includes a pitch rate range in their technical data sheets (link to overview, link to data sheet)
1658318005671.png
If you use the midpoint (0.08 oz yeast per gallon of wort) as a starting point, you'll want two 11.5 gram packages.

If they're old you may want to use a third pack. Even dry yeast loses viability over time. If you're near or past the "expiration" date use some extra.

"standard" is one pack yeast for a 5 gal batch. So that would mean 2 packs for 10 gal.

However, I do a 5 gal RIS that is almost double that OG and I only use one pack of US-05. And it finishes over 13%.

Granted, I let it go 30 days before kegging. Maybe longer.

Back