US-05 and US-04 at 48-50 deg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockgardenlove

Reaction score
Turns out my cellar is cold beyond the specs of my ale yeast. I have a cream ale and porter in there now. They've been in there around 3 days now, and besides a slow start look healthy and airlocks are bubbling away.

Could this turn out badly? Might the beer not finish right (attenuate fully)?

I expect fewer ale notes. That's fine for the cream ale, but maybe no as great for the porter. Should I warm the room up a bit or might this introduce stress?

Thanks for any opinions!

Yup time to bring them inside until primary fermentation is done at least, then you can put them out in the cellar for some "lager-like" aging. Those temps might work out well for the cream ale like you were saying.

A few batches ago I had my swamp cooler in or around those temps and nothing happened. Once I moved the fermenter to the low sixties it chugged along beautifully. If you were to leave things as they are, when you bottled the beer would be WAY too sweet and if you conditioned in a warm room you'd risk having exploding bottles. Not good.

B

i've done s-05 in the high 50's, worked fine. no better way to accentuate the apricot/peach ester to go with the citra hops! :tank:
i've also played around with other yeasts below their recommended temps and had good results. i'd say with the s-04 strain (whitbread, i believe), i ferment that nice and cool, 58-60 maybe bump it up to 63 near the end of active fermentation. i like the way that strain (i use the liquids, 1098-1099) works at the low temps.

Latest posts

Back