Pitched Safale US-05 after german ale didn't take.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duff-man

Reaction score
So I just brewed an apricot pale ale. Basic
Pale ale grain bill and hopping schedule. I hit my OG right on and the wort tasted awesome. I am very hardcore about my sanitizing. And i use an ss conical brew bucket. For this ale i pitched wlp german ale/kolsch strain. I almost always have a good reputation with this strain. I did not do a starter because that yeast with propping it up is good at handling 1.052(my OG target) just fine and i like to stress it out just a little for some extra flavour. For some reason that i cant explain the yeast never took off. I stirred up after 36 hours and the next morning nothing. At 48 hours absolutely no activity in the fermentor period. “What the hell!!”. So after getting frustrated and confused. I broke down and pitched a packet of safale us-05 because i was worried about infection. Will this in turn give my beer a strange flavour having both yeast strains in the fermentor? US-05 always comes out clean for me. So my hope was it would be fine. Anyone ever had this experience or can give me advice.?

Well, if your Kolsch yeast was truly dead, then the only yeast that will provide fermentation character is the US-05. But if the Kolsch strain was just slow starting, you'll probably end up with some character from each strain. I don't think it will necessarily taste "strange."

BTW, it's not all that uncommon to pitch two (or more) strains together,

Thanks vikeman. I was concerned about those two strains particularly and how they would react together. Thanks for the quick reply.

If I recall correctly (and it's been over a year or so), I believe that strain took awhile to get moving on a Kolsch style I brewed. And if I recall more further correctly, I gave it probably > 48 hours and then it took off. I think either way, like Vike said, the strains combined will not ruin the flavor.

If I recall correctly (and it's been over a year or so), I believe that strain took awhile to get moving on a Kolsch style I brewed. And if I recall more further correctly, I gave it probably > 48 hours and then it took off. I think either way, like Vike said, the strains combined will not ruin the flavor.
Awesome guys. Thanks for the quick replies. My anxiety is now down.

Awesome guys. Thanks for the quick replies. My anxiety is now down.
Im having that same issue with wyeast 2565 kolsch yeast. I'm approaching 48 hrs and nothing. I did a double brew day and the blonde that I did is fine and has been bubbling away for at least 36 hours. How did the kolsch turn out?

Its been a while since i posted that. But if i remember correctly. The beer was just fine in the end. If you are concerned i see no problem in pitching another strain. It could save your beer. Might not come out exactly as you hoped but thats a better alternative then an infection.

I always urge homebrewers to make a yeast starter, well ahead of brewing day, regardless of the date on the package. You don't know the condition she's in. The starter proves viability, ramps up cell count and, you can put some away for a future batch. This doesn't prevent you from pitching the # cells you feel your batch needs, especially when pitching lower amounts, you know the cells the pitched are ultra viable.

Those 2 Kolsch strains are indeed somewhat sluggish to start fermenting, although I've noticed the beer pH drops steadily after pitching, as long as the pitch is healthy.

I always urge homebrewers to make a yeast starter, well ahead of brewing day, regardless of the date on the package. You don't know the condition she's in. The starter proves viability, ramps up cell count and, you can put some away for a future batch. This doesn't prevent you from pitching the # cells you feel your batch needs, especially when pitching lower amounts, you know the cells the pitched are ultra viable.

Those 2 Kolsch strains are indeed somewhat sluggish to start fermenting, although I've noticed the beer pH drops steadily after pitching, as long as the pitch is healthy.
Yep, I didn't do a starter, then again I've only done one. I actually forgot to temp the wort after I ran through the CFC, and I think the real issue may be that it was too hot because I forgot to restrict the flow of the wort. But that's what happens when you try a double batch simultaneously for the first time. I was thinking of pitching my US04 for this Kolsch, which will have Prickly Pear added in secondary. I'm not familiar with the esters of that strain other than what I've read. I'm thinking it might fit since there will be fruit in it anyway and I'm fermenting around 62°F.

I was thinking of pitching my US04 for this Kolsch, which will have Prickly Pear added in secondary. I'm not familiar with the esters of that strain other than what I've read. I'm thinking it might fit since there will be fruit in it anyway and I'm fermenting around 62°F.
I'd give it another 24 hours before pitching another strain. Are there no signs whatsoever, like little bubbles along the edge, or pH drop if you have a way to measure that?

Especially in light of an already low cell count, maybe bump the temps a bit to coax her? Then drop it back to 62F, when signs of fermentation become apparent, but before it takes off big time. Did you oxygenate/aerate?

S-04 is a good yeast, but it won't be a Kolsch, it's much more estery, think British Ales.

I'd give it another 24 hours before pitching another strain. Are there no signs whatsoever, like little bubbles along the edge, or pH drop if you have a way to measure that?

Especially in light of an already low cell count, maybe bump the temps a bit to coax her? Then drop it back to 62F, when signs of fermentation become apparent, but before it takes off big time. Did you oxygenate/aerate?

S-04 is a good yeast, but it won't be a Kolsch, it's much more estery, think British Ales.
I did aerate, and there are very, very, small pin tip sized bubbles around the edge of the carboy, and two small clusters in the middle. I've already bumped it 2°F over the past ~12 hours. We are at 46 hours on this batch, since I placed it in the keezer, I just looked at my notes.

I did aerate, and there are very, very, small pin tip sized bubbles around the edge of the carboy, and two small clusters in the middle. I've already bumped it 2°F over the past ~12 hours. We are at 46 hours on this batch, since I placed it in the keezer, I just looked at my notes.
Well, seeing those little bubbles is surely encouraging!

Double check the temps are accurate. Some ferm chambers tend to undershoot, depending on probe placement. I'd let it be at the somewhat higher temps, and keep an eye on developments. Practice good sanitation, of course, this is a critical phase.

The date of packaging (age of the yeast) is indicative of how much yeast you're actually pitching. It's not exact science without doing a cell count, but a single pack of White Labs or Wyeast is almost never enough even when the pack is fresh within a couple weeks. Once it's over 2 months old, I would consider it a severe underpitch. Always make a starter or at the very least, be aware of the age of the packs. If you can get Imperial or Omega yeast, you have more of a fighting chance with a single pack.

The date of packaging (age of the yeast) is indicative of how much yeast you're actually pitching. It's not exact science without doing a cell count, but a single pack of White Labs or Wyeast is almost never enough even when the pack is fresh within a couple weeks. Once it's over 2 months old, I would consider it a severe underpitch. Always make a starter or at the very least, be aware of the age of the packs. If you can get Imperial or Omega yeast, you have more of a fighting chance with a single pack.
Yeah, it's taking off now. I'm 99% sure I just pitched at too high of a temp. I get what you're saying though, I do need to make starters going forward to avoid a slow start.

Latest posts

Back