URRGENT!Specific Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warwick316

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a brew session and I my gravity reading came out to 1.038, and I need 1.054. How do bring it up? Do I add more water?

Please help boil is almost done.

More water will make it lower. I am trying to figure out the same, as I haven't used a hydrometer for OG in years. What I am thinking, after reading up on it the last few weeks is, let it ride. The next time you brew you will need to add grain to your bill, your water might be off and need adjustments. Your grind might not be fine enough. Beer Smith and similar programs let you record and they make adjustments for the next time you brew.

Wish I could be more precise, I am still learning that one myself.

The 911 call for water is for fires. Quick add some more extract.Unless you want corn sugar regular sugar honey molassis,maple. assuming your gravity reading is adjusted for the 60 degree standard

Was it an extract kit?

Maybe when you topped it off it was not fully mixed, resulting in a lower gravity.

Got any extract? DME adds about 1.044 point per gallon,LME about 1.036.

Assuming you have 5 gal if you added 1# DME it would raise it 8.8 points (44 divided by 5...call it 9 points) to 1.047.

Adjust according depending what sugars you have on hand, you just need the Potential number

Thanks for all the help. It was too late to do anything so I'll just adjust as next time and hopfuly I can get it right. I just hope it turns out ok.

Latest posts

Back