Urgent advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
I brewed a IPA Saturday I just got home and the foam is coming up out of my airlock, it's a 6.5 gallon bucket with like. 4.75 gallons that went in, I'm afraid it's gonna blow, is it alright if I pull the airlock out and out a different one in, the top of the bucket is very stiff like its ready to go

Kevin in Cleveland, addicted to brewing

Yes you can, just make sure you sanitize the airlock you're putting on there. Also, you may want to rig a blow off tube because if fermentation continues to be that vigorous then you may end up having to replace the airlock again.

Yeah. Pull the airlock, clean it, refill it and put it back on. There is enough pressure in there to keep the nasties out while you clean.

Well that was a close I swear I though the kid was coming with the air lock!!! I have never had a fermentation like this before. Wish I had it in my Carboy to watch. Quick question is the flurry of thing when I got the new airlock is a few drops of water and sanitizer went down the tube into the bucket, will that hurt the fermentation? Also how would I hook up a blow off on your standard 6.5 gallon plastic bucket when the hole in the lid is small like that ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393379015.404109.jpg

Go get a 3 piece airlock, remove the cap and center float, jam a piece of tubing over the hole in the middle and run the other end into a jar of star San/water mix=blow off tube

For primary fermentation bye you are better off with a 3 piece in general, my opinion. The "s" type are better for secondary or long term bulk conditioning

Sent from the Commune

Ok I have the three piece in now. I have some extra tubing I'm gonna check to see if it's the right size. Thanks for all the info guys.

By the way what would cause a crazy fermentation like that. This was my first all grain batch and first time using liquid yeast compared to the dry packets?

The fresher the yeast the better, with liquid especially. You may have just lucked out with your purchase and gotten something brand new.

Any idea what size tubing is needed to make a blow off with a standard 3 piece is not gonna work it's already spewing out of that. My tubing is to small

Dip the end of "too narrow" tube in boiling water. Force/finesse it on. Resanitize and you're good to go. Don't use 'S ' types on primary fermentation. Had one clog once and it sheared a glass Carboy in two. I really missed the other half of that 11 gal IPA batch, and the Carboy. I never missed that S shaped airlock. I threw every one of them away that I had.

What is your fermentation temp? Too warm and the yeast go crazy. It seems cool but they will produce excessive esters that will create off flavors...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

3/8 inside diameter tubing is just about right for standard 3-piece airlock.

The fern temp is at 66, the 3/8 is what I ended up using. I had to get it done quick so I used a lighter to heat it up and used some needle nose pliers to stretch it dipped it back in the San solution for a min and got it on.

Is 66 on the ferm temp too warm?

Latest posts

Back