Upright Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschiller

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small chest freezer the fits my Fermenator with only a couple of inches vertical clearance. It is your typical 27.75” high interior. I use a block and tackle to make it easier to lift the fermenter in and out of the chest freezer. I’d like to add a tri-clamp fitting blowoff to the fermenter that would allow me to force transfer the beer to my Corny keg, but the chest freezer isn’t tall enough to accommodate that. In order to do that and make it easier to get the fermenter in and out, I’d like to replace my chest freezer with a small “regular” freezer. I’ve seen the great post that has all the chest freezer specs and dimensions, but I don’t see anything for converting a regular upright freezer into a keezer. Any recommendations for a regular freezer that is at least 34” high? I don’t need to store a bunch of kegs in it - just my 7 gallon fermenter.

Last edited:
You mean you're looking for an upright freezer, with a swing door on the front?

I have two, almost 6' tall, but they may come smaller, but never seen a smaller one, though.
The evap and recirculation fan are behind the back panel; cold air is forced through the freezer that way. Works wonderful as a keezer (taps through the door) with overflow cold storage on the top shelf, or as a ferm chamber.

There is a different kind, with coils in the shelves. You can't remove those. Fine for cold storage, but useless for keezer or ferm chamber.

Yes, I edited my post to be more clear. I can make do with a tall freezer if necessary.
Thanks for clarifying, sometimes overall height can be a limiting factor too. Since you're hoisting, there must be ample headspace above.

Instead of going the upright freezer route, you could also mount an (insulated) wooden collar on your chest freezer (similar to what we do with keezers) to accommodate the fermenter with the new top attachments. But you'll need have the needed height, including your hoist rig, to lift the fermenter out of there.

One of the things that's awkward when using refrigerators or upright freezers for ferm chambers is getting heavy (filled) fermenters in or out of there. Especially without straining your back and ligaments as you're not lifting in the right position.
A 7-9 gallon fermenter is about the limit for one person, if you ask me. I remember all too well manoeuvring that 16 gallon Speidel with 11-12 gallons of beer in it into my friend's refrigerator, which itself was wobbling on a wooden shipping pallet...

Some get around it by building a "loading ramp" or a raising platform, so you slide or roll it in and out.

Back