Update: Dark krausen ring, we ok? I think were good!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millatime

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just kegged my first all grain IPA. I'm pretty happy so far it being my first all grain and my first time kegging :rock:, but I digress.

I popped the lid on my conical once it was almost empty and noticed the dark ring, I don't recall seeing this when I used to brew long ago in the glass carboys. Could it be something in the metal? It's a blichmann conical. I washed very well with PBW and rinsed very well, as well as a starsan sanitation. Same with the all the parts and attachments. Never used soap or any bleach, etc.

It was in the conical for about 4 weeks at 67 degrees.

The beer ran nice and clear and also smelled pleasant and tasted good pre-carbonation. Am I OK? Something to do different next time? Thank you for your help as always!

brew1.png
brew2.jpg
brew3.png

Thanks @TallDan , any info is helpful. It's good to know others get it, I was very happy with the beer thus far just terrified to see the black thinking its mold :no:

I'll see what else I can find. Searching a little , i see others with IPA's have had it but the beers still OK to drink.

Interesting. I ferment in a stainless Brewbucket and don’t get the black ring like that.

Just kegged my second batch that was fermented in a stainless brewbucket. The first was a neipa with half a pound of dry hops. I got a ring of black gunk similar to yours, and was worried a bout infection, but went through the keg without any off flavors. Kegged a second batch last night that had a 2oz dry hop. Gunk was there but much, much less of it. My thinking is that it has to do with the hops

Ahh perhaps thats it @cwise I did dry hop this one. I'll see what my next batch turns out. :D

Just an update, I finally did it. My first all grain beer, an IPA!!!!

I let it carbonate 3 days in the keg, then set it to a lower PSI. Couldn't help myself to "test" the carbonation today and it came out pretty great I think! :rock::rock::rock::rock:

ipa.jpg

Back