Up/Down Transformers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has thought of using, or has used, a step up/down transformer? I only thought of this because I have a few in my room to use with my NA electronics. My initial concern was the NEMA outlet. I'm obviously no electrician but the plug and outlet on the transformer look like a fit. My other concern was the Amp rating. I only saw one that was rated at 9A and the others didn't have this listed.

This one looks just like what I have, but branded differently.

Probably not a good idea to use one but wanted to ask. Surly I am not the only newbie to think this :oops:

You cannot use a transformer to increase the power available from a branch circuit in your residence, even tho you can increase the voltage. If you use a 2X step up transformer to increase the voltage from 120V to 240V, the max output current will be 1/2 of the outlet circuit's rated current, so the max power will be the same (actually slightly less due to losses in the transformer.) TANSTAFL.

A 15A circuit @ 120V can supply a maximum power of 1800W for short periods, and only 1440W for extended periods. For a 20A circuit you get max 2400W, and sustained 1920W.

Brew on :mug:

When it comes to electrical things here, I'd say:
A: Listen to Doug ^
B: If you have to ask, you probably should stay well away from it.

The transformer you linked to is actually rated to supply 3300W (at 220V) continuously (see the table on the Amazon page). To supply 3300W, the transformer must draw 30 Amps from your 110V domestic supply, also, continuously.
You'd need a dedicated 110V / 30A circuit for that, with (at least) 10 Gauge wiring.

The 5000W is just an inflated Peak Power number and practically meaningless.
Now anything that draws 5000W for more than a short fraction of a second may pop that 30A breaker.

Can you tell us what exactly you want to use 240V, 3300W for?
This is an Electrical Brewing forum, so we may presume it's related to that.
I had the idea because at some point I plan to try an electric AIO, probably dual voltage so I can plan for the 220/240 outlet install. I am also using one of the up/down transformers where I am currently at. I was thinking since it "up" transforms, and the W's were within range of most of the advertised AIO, someone may have tried or asked about it before.

I had the idea because at some point I plan to try an electric AIO, probably dual voltage so I can plan for the 220/240 outlet install. I am also using one of the up/down transformers where I am currently at. I was thinking since it "up" transforms, and the W's were within range of most of the advertised AIO, someone may have tried or asked about it before.
You mean a dual voltage AIO such as an Anvil Foundry?

Either of the 2 Anvil Foundry units draws 2800W at 240V or 1600W at 120V.
The higher power indeed allows you to heat your strike water faster and bring the wort faster to a boil after the mash. That's the scope and also limit of the higher power benefit.

Once the water/wort reaches it's set temp, the unit only needs to keep up with heat losses to environment. Some decent insulation (double/triple layer of Reflectix, or neoprene) will reduce those heat losses, you won't need 240V/2800W for that, 120V/1600W should cover that easily.

Maybe that is more common sense with electrical work but if took that route I would never do anything. Again, I am no electrician so I asked.
When it comes to things that can kill you, or burn your house down, it pays to be more risk averse. You want expert help in these situations.

Last edited:

Transformers can change the voltage, but they sure can't increase the ampacity of the input circuit breaker and cable.

A 240v, 15amp circuit breaker is pretty inexpensive.

I'm curious if anyone has thought of using, or has used, a step up/down transformer? I only thought of this because I have a few in my room to use with my NA electronics. My initial concern was the NEMA outlet. I'm obviously no electrician but the plug and outlet on the transformer look like a fit. My other concern was the Amp rating. I only saw one that was rated at 9A and the others didn't have this listed.

This one looks just like what I have, but branded differently.

Probably not a good idea to use one but wanted to ask. Surly I am not the only newbie to think this :oops:
  1. What is the amperage rating of the breaker on the 120V to which this transformer will be connected?
  2. What is the wattage (or current and voltage) of the proposed AIO system?
Without knowing these two things, it's impossible to know if it will work or not.

Transformers can change the voltage, but they sure can't increase the ampacity of the input circuit breaker and cable.

A 240v, 15amp circuit breaker is pretty inexpensive.
Not only can't you increase the ampacity, you can only get 1/2 the amps at 240, that the circuit can supply at 120V. You can't increase the power available with a step up transformer (and you only get the same power on the output of a transformer if you can find the elusive lossless transformer.)

Back