Unwashed Yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRIPLEMSU

Reaction score
here is my plan:

I am about to rack my batch and I was going to keep 1/2 the cake in the fermenter and store the other 1/2 into a sanitized mason jar...

then i will just put the new batch on the 1/2 i left in the fermenter...the 2nd 1/2 that i have in the mason jar i will save for 2-3 weeks and then put that on my new bath i will be making...

i plan to re-use the 1st generation 1/2 cakes about 2-3 x's at most....then i will restart the process all over again with a new packet of yeast...so in reality i will get 4-6 batches of yeast from one packet.

does this sound good??? i know washing is a good option but would rather go this route if this process sounds good.

You'll get a lot of different advice on this question, because it's a good question. In my experience your methodology should work just fine. Pay attention to your sanitation, obviously.
Besides that, enjoy a cold one and be sure to smile with pride as you reflect on the seven bucks you save every time you reuse yeast.
Cheers!

Your plan will work. I have done that same thing however you should get all of the cake out of the carboy and wash the carboy.

Your plan will work. I have done that same thing however you should get all of the cake out of the carboy and wash the carboy.

+1

I've had yeast stored like this in the fridge for six months make fine beer. I usually only save the cakes of low color, low gravity brews. However, I do have a stock of stout yeast that only goes in dark beers.

sounds good...will it be fine if you use 1/2 the yeast cake in the clean/sanitized carboy???? or do i need more or less????

I usually end up using about a half to a third of the cake per brew. In almost every case, I'm over pitching.

When I pull off the yeast it usually fills up about 3/4 of a growler, after washing the yeast I get about1/5 a growler to pitch. I would recommend at least half

Back