Unusual kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayvillebrew

Reaction score
I have about 1 gallon of IPA left in my keg and I have a fresh batch of the same beer ready to keg. I am having a last minute party tomorrow and was wondering if you think I can rack the new beer on the carbed beer and give it a little shake?

I don't have another open keg to keg too.

Thoughts!?? Thank you!

Do you have any other empty kegs? Assuming it's a 5-gallon batch, what do you plan to do with the gallon of new beer you can't fit into the currently-used keg?

There was a thread on here a while ago about people not cleaning kegs, i.e., racking new beer into a kicked keg. I thought for sure you were going to ask about that. Full disclosure: I did that about 3 months ago with one batch; there were no discernable negatives to that one instance.

If you rack 4 gallons of uncarbed beer on the 1 gallon of carbed beer, the overall result will be very much undercarbed. You'll have to force carb it to get it ready for tomorrow.

It's not at all uncommon for people to blend beers; essentially that's what you're proposing here. If you force carb it in the meantime, no reason I can think of why you'd have issues, though you'd still have a gallon of extra beer left.

Occasionally I'll have a gallon or less in a keg and I want to clear space for another; I'll bottle that last bit of beer, pull the keg and now I have room--plus some bottles of beer I can share or take with somewhere else. I bottle off the faucets using a growler-filler, it's pretty easy.

Occasionally I'll have a gallon or less in a keg and I want to clear space for another; I'll bottle that last bit of beer, pull the keg and now I have room--plus some bottles of beer I can share or take with somewhere else. I bottle off the faucets using a growler-filler, it's pretty easy.

Oh ......Ya, I guess that world work too. :p
So maybe it's not the "perfect opportunity" , but it still looks like a good opportunity :ban:

I keep a few growlers around for this instance. when i need the room I fill a growler or two and throw those in the fridge. Then Can either drink later, bring it to a gathering, or if someone has been around and goes, so, what have you made recently.

But the rules of the growler are simple, the growler get's opened, the growler get's finished.

Thanks for the comments! The new beer is about 4 gallons due to hop absorption etc..that's why I figured I would blend. Maybe I'll just drink it tonight! Thanks again...this was great info

Back