unstuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannypittman

Reaction score
I made a 5 gallon batch using 6 lbs of 2row, 1 lb of toasted 2row, and 1 lb of white rice. It fermented like crazy the next day and quit bubbling. I racked and dry hopped in a glass carboy 7 days later. Instead of clearing, it has started bubbling again 3 or 4 days after being in the carboy. This is 10 or 11 days after pitching the yeast.
I boiled my rice for an hour. The boiled rice then had 6 lbs of 2 row and 1 lb of toasted 2 row added once the temp got down to striking temp. My iodine test said conversion was done when I checked 90 min later.
I did not check gravity when I racked, but original gravity was 1.045. Any thoughts. Mashed @156, fermented with 2 packs of Munton's Gold, sedimentation at racking was normal. Any thoughts on the late fermentation?

You should let the beer sit in primary for longer than a week for things just like this. Just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean it isn't still fermenting. You should also take a gravity reading before you rack to secondary to make sure that it is done. :)

What's the gravity? Any signs of infections? I've heard those muttons yeasts do not attenuate very well. Could have picked up some wild yeast that is eat up the leftovers.

OR it could be just letting off some co2 that was trapped in the liquid.

Back