Understanding what I did wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrinkingBeer

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new brewer. I made my first batch with BrooklynBrew Shop's 1 gallon kit of Smoked Wheat. For the most part it came out pretty good but it had a bit of a bitter after taste. I was wondering if anyone else made this recipe and if it tasted the same? Also, what could have lead to the bitter aftertaste. I'm pretty sure it was the hops but was it becasue i put it in too late or what?

If your beer is young you'll.taste more.of the bitterness i think. But adding the hops late makes the beer less bitter but impar more aroma/flavor :)

If you followed the instructions closely, then either your beer is just still a bit young, or you have an underdeveloped palate for hops.

Agreed that it is probably just young/green still so time will help. Did you watch your temperatures closely? Sometimes too hot of a sparge or oversparging can lead to astringency or bitterness. This is unlikely if you followed the directions listed. (Some of best I've seen for a kit btw)

If you followed the instructions closely, then either your beer is just still a bit young, or you have an underdeveloped palate for hops.

when you say it is a bit young, what do you mean? I didn't let it ferment long enough? I didn't let it sit in the bottle long enough? What?

when you say it is a bit young, what do you mean? I didn't let it ferment long enough? I didn't let it sit in the bottle long enough? What?

Either/both of these. Typically people here do/recommend at a minimum 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks bottle.

Back