Understanding flow rates, hose/tubing diameter and barb size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markstache

Reaction score
I'd like to design a 3 way manifold that I can use to both clean the lines of my 3 tap kegerator and also use to fill 3 kegs simultaneously during homebrew club barrel projects.

In both cases, I use my chugger pump to push the liquid. One of my goals is to try to maximize throughput of the system, pushing as much volume as I can in the minimum amount of time through the 3 outputs.

The input side of the manifold is standard 1/2" camlock. The output side will either need to connect to 1/4 female flare (John Guest connectors) for the lines or 1/4 male flare quick disconnects for the kegs.

I have two main questions: first, as i have 1/2" ID silicon tubing from the source to the pump and to the manifold, what diameter tubing should I use from the 3-way manifold to the flare connectors? As a related issue, I'm confused about hose barbs that are given for tube outer diameters, as the inner diameter seems like the more important measurement. As a final aspect to this question, it is much cheaper to use a 1/4" cross connector than a 1/2" NPT cross and NPT-hose barb fittings. If there is an advantage to the 1/2" NPT solution, I'll do that, but I don't want to waste money otherwise.

Second, since I have to accept both male and female flare connectors on the output, it seems like the best setup is to have a female swivel nut connected directly to the manifold that can be connected to the QDs, and then add a male-to-male when I need to plug into the beer lines in the kegerator. If there are any better solutions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back