Under to Over-Spiced... Can Gelatin Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmit209

Reaction score
So, I brewed my first pumpkin ale recently. Yes, I realize I have no respect for seasonality... I just wanted a good pumpkin beer. I like them to taste a bit like pumpkin pie, so I used puree pumpkin and pie filling in the boil and spices that came with my kit. After two rounds of fermentation, I kegged the beer, carbonated, and tasted. I was very disappointed... minimal pumpkin flavor, and almost NO spice at all.

Then I probably made my biggest mistake... I purged the CO2, opened the keg and dumped in a couple tsp of pumpkin pie spice (from a spice bottle.) I immediately realized that this was a mistake. I should have boiled it and strained it first, but now it's too late. I waited 48 hours, and pulled a few pints. They all have floating spice particles in them, and the taste is very heavy on the allspice.

Will adding gelatin to the keg at this point help pull the spice particles to the bottom so I can get them out of the beer? I don't want to have to throw out an entire batch because of this mistake.

Seeing how there are spice particles in it and the dip tube in a keg is at the bottom, it seems as though the spices are settling out. I would imagine after a few more days or a week the spices will all have dropped out and you can pull another couple pints and it will be gone.

I recently over spiced a pumpkin saison as well and after about a month or so the spice had mellowed pretty well. I think cold conditioning and time is all you need.

time will help, did the same thing back in october, beer was great in feb

Back