Under pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambop

Reaction score
On the back of the over pitch thread below. Recent brew with a 27L volume and 11P gravity pitched 11g of Windsor ... wort fermented out at about 40 hrs gravity was 4P thought I had boobed and that the yeast was under performing or dead so, as I missed it out of the original wort I added 500 g of invert I should have ... fermentation took off like a banshee again within an hour or so and was done again at about 24hrs same FG 4P . I left the wort for ten days gravity has never moved. What is the correct pitching rate for these yeasts? Lallemand says between 5 and 10g per 10L so I am well under pitched even at the lowest pitch rate ?

Not sure what your question is or how to relate it from the example you gave.

It just seems like you are disappointed that your under-pitched brew apparently came out okay.

You didn't underpitch at all. You pitched right on target.

Windsor is just about the lowest attenuating yeast strain available. It ferments fast in 40 hours average and will always give a final 4-5 Plato as you've experienced because it cannot ferment maltotriose (a complex sugar in malt wort). It's done. I am not surprised at your result at all.

You neither overpitched nor underpitched. See my response to the other thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...h-negative-consequences.723944/#post-10205333

Proper pitch rate is primarily for a production brewery where they need the fermentation to start quickly and finish quickly so the fermenter can be emptied and the next batch started on time. By under pitching you are increasing the lag time as the yeast need to propagate more to get to the point where they start making alcohol instead of baby yeasts. If that lag time becomes too long you do risk the chance of bacteria getting a start ahead of the yeast.

Back