Did I under pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattman91

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing ales for a while, but finally brewed my first lager last weekend. I think I may have under pitched.

I pitched 1 packet of Lallemand Diamond Lager to 3 gallons of 1.050 wort. Idk if it matters, but I did use yeast nutrient.

Should I pitch another pack?

According to Lallemand's recommended 100-200 g/hL you're right on the lower edge. From personal experience I'd also say you should be fine, though. I do that size batch all the time and I've had no problem with similar pitches. What temp are you fermenting it? If it's really cold then it could be an underpitch. Otherwise, yeah, you're fine.

Also, welcome to the lager club :mug:

According to Lallemand's recommended 100-200 g/hL you're right on the lower edge. From personal experience I'd also say you should be fine, though. I do that size batch all the time and I've had no problem with similar pitches. What temp are you fermenting it? If it's really cold then it could be an underpitch. Otherwise, yeah, you're fine.

Also, welcome to the lager club :mug:
Cool. I am fermenting at 54F.

Yeah, I still say you should be fine. You can always let it rise some near the end of fermentation to make sure it finishes up. Nothing is bulletproof but Diamond is pretty reliable. You chose a good yeast to start.
Good to hear. I was planning on letting it free rise to 68 in a couple days for a D rest.

Back