Under counter kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brah

Reaction score
Hello! I'm going to be having a man cave built soon and wanted to get a kegerator incorporated into the bar fpr my homebrew. I'd be buying one and not DIYing it (I'm not too handy). It looks like freestanding kegerators start around $500-$600, but the kind that go under a countertop are more than twice that (example: https://www.kegerator.com/edgestar-full-size-dual-tap-built-in-kegerator/KC7000TWIN.html). I'm just wondering if this is worth getting or even necessary. Could you just get a freestanding one and stick it under a countertop, or is that ventilation important? Or am I looking at the wrong kind of kegerator?

Here is the potential layout for the man cave for anyone interested: https://ibb.co/w4gPB1m

If your kegerator is going to be built in to bar underneath the countertop, you're really going to need something that has a forward vent for the condenser. Either that, or you need to ensure you have 3" minimum around all sides of a standard kegerator without a front lower vent. If you don't have adequate ventilation for a standard kegerator, it will struggle to keep the beer cold enough and you'll overwork your compressor, leading to higher electricity usage and a shortened life of the compressor.

Sure, the ones with the forward vent cost more, but you'll be buying a second standard one within a year if you put it in an area with poor ventilation.

I like that layout....not sure what your budget is...but typically there's a huge difference in price between DIY and prebuilt...
There's several good build threads on how to do an undercounter kegerator here on HBT. If you're already brewing your own beer, you're clearly very handy.
If you really want a pre-built, I'd try to spring for a Perlick...

Latest posts

Back