Under counter kegerator build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abs777

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement bar and I want a tower on my bar counter top. I was originally going to build an under counter kegerator, but the Sanyo is discontinued and all the fridges I have seen are 4.4-4.9 the compressor is on the bottom and I don't know if a half barrel would fit with the hump\shelf (I probably won't start home brewing for a while). Sam's Club has a nice Haier kegerator that I am thinking about buying.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1070383&navAction=#spec

I have a question about pulling the tower off and mounting it on the bar counter top. If I use PVC and insulate it well do you think that will keep the lines cold enough? It would only be about a 2-3 inch run from the top of the kegerator up through the counter top.

Any suggestions \ comments is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Most of the store bought kegerators come with a rubber fill piece that you put into the hole where the tower mounts (in case you decide to use it as a mini fridge instead). You could probably drill a small hole through the rubber insert and run your lines through it without a problem.

Either way, I think the PVC is a good idea so it has an insulated track the whole way to the faucet. Plus, it might keep your tower a little cooler if you have a fan mounted inside to blow air up through the PVC.

I have an older version of this very same fridge - had it for about 7 years now - still going strong. OOTB it will hold any commercial keg, but I've since replaced the single tower with a triple. I can fit 3 cornys with a 5lb CO2 on the hump. There still more room around the sides and I put odds and ends in bottles around in the spaces. There's no way 4 will fit in it. It sits pretty level with the counter top in my laundry room. If you could remove the top it might just barely fit underneath (or remove the casters). One think is that it all vents out the back, so airflow could be an issue - mine gets quite warm on the back and its freestanding. I haven't had any trouble with foaming and I don't have any particular cooling in my tower other than the fact that it's connected and the tower is insulated :).

Back