Cooling Beer Lines: 6-8ftish run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koleon

Reaction score
So a few years ago I built a bar in my basement and added draft beer without much thought to it. Basically ripped off the draft tower of my kegorator i have in a closet and ran lines about 6-8 feet inside 2in flex pvc through a wall and some cabinets to a counter mounted draft tower (two taps). Been paying the price ever since in foamy beer since i never added anything to cool the trunkline :-( . Looking for some affordable ideas to maybe remedy this even if its just a bit. Was looking at this (Amazon.com: Coldtower Kegerator Super Tower Cooler (Upgraded for MAXIMUM cooling): Home & Kitchen) but seems under powered for my setup and way overpriced. Attaching a couple pics so you can see an idea of how its currently setup. All feedback appreciated, including ripping on me for how i did it originally haha

Attachments

• keg1.jpg
    keg1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • keg2.jpg
    keg2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • keg3.jpg
    keg3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • keg4.jpg
    keg4.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
fwiw, this unit makes a big difference in my kegerator, esp. in the summer garage. Might actually work okay over your much longer distance (at reasonable ambient temperatures) if you can extend the tube to reach the far end (near top of the tower), assuming there's enough space left in your PVC pipe for the return air flow.

fwiw, this unit makes a big difference in my kegerator, esp. in the summer garage. Might actually work okay over your much longer distance (at reasonable ambient temperatures) if you can extend the tube to reach the far end (near top of the tower), assuming there's enough space left in your PVC pipe for the return air flow.
I’m sure I can find some tubing at the depot I was just worried if it had enough power to push the air that distance back into the fridge

Personally, I'd use glycol through a copper tube with the beer lines gathered around it then all wrapped in one length of pipe insulation... If your kegerator has a hump and you've kept the CO2 on the outside, you can put a resevoir and pump on the hump... just a thought.

For a glycol system to work efficiently the shank should be equipped with a cold block and the beer lines are usually stainless steel from the shank through the base of the tower. In your case the cold blocks are not suited for your 2 tap 3" tower nor is the distance for a glycol system justified.

I am not familar on the cooling fans so no comment.

Some other ideas to consider:
Cut out the shelves and mount the kegerator underneath your tap tower.
Install a cold plate inside the kegerator (similar approach to a jockey box).
Turn down the temperature inside the kegerator and increase the CO2 pressure. (cheapest option)

Back