Uncommon Brewers Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
I randomly ordered this at Monk's Kettle in San Francisco when they had it on draft and it turned out to be the best Baltic Porter I've ever had. So now I want to reproduce it as closely as possible. Has anyone here had it before and can offer some advice? The Uncommon Brewers page just says that it features blend of whole licorice root and star anise. I'm thinking of starting with the Jamil's recipe for Baltic Porter and going from there, but I'm looking for any help.

Haven't had the beer, but I can give you some tips on the licroice and anise from experience.

I did an imperial porter with .38 ozof licorice root @ 20 min in 3.6 gallons. I got the root from an organic market and tore it up into small pieces before tossing it in. It was at a level that I couldn't pick it out, but I had one or two people pick it out without knowing it was in there.

The one beer I've made with Star Anise was a Swankey (essentially a historic anise spike mild), 3 g Anise @ 5 min and 1.5 g Star Anise @ 5 min made for a beer with too much licorice flavor for my taste, but many people enjoyed it.

Thanks for that. I unfortunately only saw it after brewing. Recipe I used was similar but I used roast barley instead of chocolate, I also used Vienna. 1.082 California Lager yeast (2L starter).

I'd say e-mail them. Their beer has such a limited availability, and all of them used to be homebrewers. In fact one of them used to work at my LHBS when I lived in Santa Cruz. I'll bet that they would be very generous with their recipe.

Licorice root is available via LD carlson. Your LHBS can likely order it for you. I used it in a Belgian poorter, it has a really nice character.

Back