Licorice Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 l
Bottling Volume: 9.17 l
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 11.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.25 kg Pale Ale (BestMalz) (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 65.2 %
0.30 kg Munich (BestMalz) (15.0 EBC) Grain 2 8.7 %
0.30 kg Wheat (BestMalz) (4.0 EBC) Grain 3 8.7 %
0.20 kg Acidulated (BestMalz) (3.0 EBC) Grain 4 5.8 %
0.15 kg Wheat, Torrified (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 E Grain 5 4.3 %
0.25 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 6 7.2 %
20.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 19.7 IBUs
30.00 g Anise, Star (Boil 15 mins) Spice 8 -
20.00 g Licorice (Boil 15.0 mins) Spice 9 -
1.0 pkg Belgian Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M27) Yeast 10 -

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash Step Add 16.82 l of water at 69.4 C 66.0 C 60 min

After reaching high krausen, will boil, then cool, 200ml water with 250g sugar (7.2% of fermentables).

After reaching FG, will taste sample. If not enough of the licorice flavor will add more star of anise and licorice root and let sit for 14 days.

Will bottle after about 3-4 weeks of primary, and let condition for 1-2 months.

The Story:
My wife is a very typical Norwegian in many ways, one of which means that she loves licorice. She asked if it's possible to make licorice beer after seeing licorice sticks and roots at the LHBS. I hate licorice and so I told her that she had to brew it all herself, with my help and tips of course. I thought that in order to really get the licorice experience that going with a porter or a stout will mostly mask the flavors. She also likes saisons, a style that I'm not particularly a fan of, so she decided that she would like to use a saison yeast. We wanted a little residual sweetness though, and since it would likely be a sipping beer anyways, went with a pretty high ABV beer.

Have you already brewed this?

I recently made 20L saison where I put 1gr star anise in some vodka and dumped it in. When I tasted the FG sample, all I got was star anise.

After cold crashing and kegging it's much more subdue. You can still get a whif of it, and the lingering mouthfeel.

i have already brewed it. when we tasted the OG sample (yes i had to taste it as well...), there was surprisingly just enough of that licorice flavor. we put them both in the boil at 15 mins. so it'll be also interesting to see how the fermentation process affects the flavor. it's only on day 2. adding in the extra sugar today to help "dry it out." so i won't know what the flavor is gonna be like for at least another week. i will report back.

Back