Unboxing the Penguin Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dockside_Brewing

Reaction score
I received my Penguin chiller the other day. The unit was shipped promptly (FREE) and was packed very well.

It came with all of the fittings.

The unit is well made and I really like the finished look of it. It took the temp down from 74 to 20 degrees very quickly. The unit is also pretty quiet.

That must have been fun to put on that shelf - these things are sturdy! I have mine about six inches off the floor.

That must have been fun to put on that shelf - these things are sturdy! I have mine about six inches off the floor.

It was my workout for the day.......LOL I wanted to utilize wasted space and the microwave shelf was the perfect solution.

Do you need to buy a pump separately? If so, what do you recommend?

Yes, you need a pump. I have the SS brewtech pump. It’s small, quiet, and well built.

Cool. I have the SS pump and appreciate the other option. Wish these brew equipment makers provided better intel on recommended options as it would reduce the number of orders & shipping costs. Where did you purchase your glycol, how much did you get?

I just picked up a gallon of USP PG from Amazon. Note that Penguin is carrying glycol pump now as well (they weren't when I ordered my unit back in July).

Yes, you need a pump. I have the SS brewtech pump. It’s small, quiet, and well built.

Hello Dockside,
Now that you have been operating your chiller for a couple of months, would you have an update for us on pros/cons, performance and coupling to SS brewtech (presumably) fermentation gear?
Thanks,
Chris

I received my Penguin chiller the other day. The unit was shipped promptly (FREE) and was packed very well.

What model is that microwave shelf? And what are the dimensions?

I could not tell for sure on their website, but it appears the "front" of the Penguin chiller with the digital temperature readout is the 16.25" dimension, which makes it 23.25" deep. Is that correct?

Hello Dockside,
Now that you have been operating your chiller for a couple of months, would you have an update for us on pros/cons, performance and coupling to SS brewtech (presumably) fermentation gear?
Thanks,
Chris

The chiller has been performing flawlessly. I have it paired with the SS Brewtech pump and controller on the 14 gallon unitank and it holds the temperature perfectly. It does a great job cold crashing and holding that temp for carbonation/gelatin. I used the valved disconnect to keep the glycol in the lines when disconnecting the coil. I have not found any cons with the chiller or the uni tank. Both systems work as advertised and I am extremely pleased with both.

The chiller has been performing flawlessly. I have it paired with the SS Brewtech pump and controller on the 14 gallon unitank and it holds the temperature perfectly. It does a great job cold crashing and holding that temp for carbonation/gelatin. I used the valved disconnect to keep the glycol in the lines when disconnecting the coil. I have not found any cons with the chiller or the uni tank. Both systems work as advertised and I am extremely pleased with both.

Many thanks for the info sir! Great tip for the valved disconnects - I’ll definitely keep this in mind for when I pull the trigger ;)

So, for the penguin, you need to buy 4 separate pumps but the ssbrewtech chiller includes the 4 pumps in its design. Is that correct?
So, for the penguin, you need to buy 4 separate pumps but the ssbrewtech chiller includes the 4 pumps in its design. Is that correct?

No. Neither chillers have pumps included. Another nice feature is that the Penguin unit is fully enclosed.

Last edited:
No. Neither chillers have pumps included. Another nice feature is that the Penguin unit is fully enclosed.

The fully enclosed part (on top of the $200+ cost savings) is a main reason I’d lean towards Penguin over SS Brewtech. Operating in a garage in coastal Georgia, the open design of the SS Brewtech may need more upkeep / cleaning.

What’s your experience chilling a 5 gallon batch in the 14 gallon SS Unitank with the penguin chiller?

What’s your experience chilling a 5 gallon batch in the 14 gallon SS Unitank with the penguin chiller?

I have only done 10 gallon batches so far. I figure its the same amount of work and cleanup so I might as well make ten gallons!

I am glad I stumbled across this thread. I just purchased the 14 gal Unitank and the Penguin chiller. I hope you don’t mind me picking your brain from time to time! My chiller was shipped on Thursday. The Unitank I got 3 days ago. I still have to wash it with the TSP like the instructions say and Pasivise it. About the Unitank, what other accessories did you buy for it? I have a CIP spray ball but don’t have the Tri Clamp fitting to attach it. Ss Brewtech sell the 3” CIP but I already have to spray ball. And for the dump valve. Do you have a 1.5” to 1” barb? I was thinking of getting that. And for the racking port would the 1.5” to a 1/2 (or a 3/8”) fitting do to transfer from the Unitank to a keg or bottling bucket? Hope it is not a lot of questions. Thanks!

I purchased the Micro spray ball which works great with the $149.00 chugger pump. You will need a 6" to 3" tri clover adapter for the spray ball. I use all camlock fittings on my setup. I also converted the Co2 stone barb to a ball lock fitting to connect my Co2 easily while carbonating, purging, or pressurizing. I use a 1/4 flare off of the racking port connected to a ball lock fitting. I keg using Co2 pressurized transfer. I fill one keg with san star. I use Co2 to push the san star out of that keg into a second keg. I keep a few pounds of pressure on that empty keg, I then transfer form the unitank to the keg and use a spunding valve to fill the keg slowly to avoid foam and all kegs are filled by weight. Let me know if you have any questions.

I purchased the Micro spray ball which works great with the $149.00 chugger pump. You will need a 6" to 3" tri clover adapter for the spray ball. I use all camlock fittings on my setup. I also converted the Co2 stone barb to a ball lock fitting to connect my Co2 easily while carbonating, purging, or pressurizing. I use a 1/4 flare off of the racking port connected to a ball lock fitting. I keg using Co2 pressurized transfer. I fill one keg with san star. I use Co2 to push the san star out of that keg into a second keg. I keep a few pounds of pressure on that empty keg, I then transfer form the unitank to the keg and use a spunding valve to fill the keg slowly to avoid foam and all kegs are filled by weight. Let me know if you have any questions.

When transferring the Starsan from one keg to another, you are not concerned with the ounce or two of StarSan that may be left at the bottom of the keg when transferring the beer into it from the Unitank to the newly emptied keg??

No. The kegs have a small detent at the bottom of the pickup tube so 99% or more is purged from the keg. The beauty of Star San is it does not affect the beer at all. Now i wouldn’t leave 1/2 gallon but it’s harmless in small quantities and I know my kegs are sanitized and O2 free.

Got mine in the mail yesterday!! :)
IMG_1574.jpg

How did you mount the little shelf for the FTSs controller to the 14 Gal Unitank?? I don’t see anywhere to put that shelf on it.

I finished fermentation on my first batch with the Penguin 1/2 HP Glycol Chiller last weekend, working perfectly so far!

Maintained the fermentor at 64* during fermentation (glycol at 38*), and then 40* for a 48 hour cold crash (glycol at 28*).

Ambient garage temperatures were between 60-80*.

I’m interested to see how hard the chiller has to work when I’m wanting to cold crash the fermentor to 35-40* in the summer months with an ambient garage temperature in the 80-100* range.

FD986_A04-_D213-488_B-_A7_A6-_A21409_EC9493.jpg

How did you mount the little shelf for the FTSs controller to the 14 Gal Unitank?? I don’t see anywhere to put that shelf on it.

Never mind. That is a set up for a Conical fermenter not the Unitank. I will have to come up with something to put the controller next to it.

I finished fermentation on my first batch with the Penguin 1/2 HP Glycol Chiller last weekend, working perfectly so far!

Maintained the fermentor at 64* during fermentation (glycol at 38*), and then 40* for a 48 hour cold crash (glycol at 28*).

Ambient garage temperatures were between 60-80*.

I’m interested to see how hard the chiller has to work when I’m wanting to cold crash the fermentor to 35-40* in the summer months with an ambient garage temperature in the 80-100* range.

FD986_A04-_D213-488_B-_A7_A6-_A21409_EC9493.jpg

Very nice! I am trying to figure out how to set up and program the Penguin Chiller I got. It came with no instructions and YouTube is very limited when it comes to these chillers.

if the glycol ports are in the lid of the chiller how are you getting the pumps primed? am i missing something? or are there bottom/gravity drain glycol outlets?

if the glycol ports are in the lid of the chiller how are you getting the pumps primed? am i missing something? or are there bottom/gravity drain glycol outlets?

The little pumps are submersible. :)

OK Penguin Chiller friends. I got my chiller all set up. I put then glycol in it and plugged it in. Of course the little temp controller is not as intuitive as I though. To start the temp is in Celsius not Fahrenheit. I got three pieces of paper with the chiller. One was a warning to to turn it on until after it sits upright for at least 2 hours, another was the warranty, the other was a page explaining abbreviations and what the buttons were. No real instruction. No videos on YouTube either. If anyone know of any, let me know. Of if you can hook me up with some directions on how to set it and to what temp, (is it 27 degrees F?) I would greatly appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back