Unbalanced cure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar

Reaction score
Good day,

Something weird happened to my brew.
As usual, I put it in secondary for 2 weeks. Near the end, there were no more bubbles in the airlock. I added an ounce of Cascade hops for dry hopping and like magic, it started fermenting heavily once again. I was only supposed to dry hop for 7 days. but fermenting didn't stop for at least another 2 weeks.

I bottled my beer last night and holy mamma it must be about 200 IBU LOL.
It's as though the yeast converted too much of the sugar and now there's zero sweetness.

Is there anything I can do to my brew to sweeten it up for a little more balance? Or is this something I have to forget about for a couple months hoping that it will mellow out?
Thanks!

My guess is when you added the dry hops, the beer began off-gassing, not fermenting. What was your hop schedule and what were your OG and FG readings?

Did you take a gravity reading before you dry hopped? Going back to what Revvy always preaches "an airlock is not an fermentation indicator, take a gravity reading".

It may have been slowed or a stuck fermentation. But without your gravity reading and fermentation temps if nothing seemed out of the ordinary from your previous ferments, my guess is that when you dry hopped it, the Co2 that was in suspension use the hops as nucleation sites and that is what caused your airlock to bubble.

If you like everything about the finished product but the hops profile I would stash it away at room temp for a month or two and test another then.

Back