Un-Stick My Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swean

Reaction score
Hi All,
Rookie brewer here, new to the forums. I've gotten a lot of great info reading through the threads so far but now I need some help. Here is the recipe I used for an Irish Red (5 gallon batch), hoping to have it ready for March Madness:

6.6 lbs Mounton's Amber LME
1 lb Crystal Malt 80L
1 oz Black Patent Malt
1/2 lb English Pale Malt
1oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
1oz Tettnanger hops (1 min)
Wylabs #1084 Irish Ale

OG: 1.053
Fermentation temp: 71 Degrees

All went well in getting the wort to the primary (although I didn't go out of my way to aerate, will do that next time), and I had lots of bubbling for about 1-2 days. I planned on racking after 7 days but my hydrometer read 1.021. I gave it a little stir and checked it 3 days later, still 1.02. I then gave it a much larger stir (making sure to get the sediment off the bottom) and bumped the temp up to 72-74 degrees, but after 3 more days (day 13 in primary) it's still at 1.02.

What now? I'm guessing that since I'm still far off the FG that I shouldn't rack or bottle, so should I re-pitch some dry yeast? Based on my OG I think I pitched enough yeast to begin with (I think the package mentioned it was sufficient up to 1.06 or so), but correct me if I'm wrong. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Pitch new yeast. I'd strongly reccomend making a starter to make sure the yeast is fully active and ready to go right to work.

starters do seem to be universally accepted as a good idea.

however, wyeast irish ale yeast does tend to attenuate less than your average yeast, and that could be the cause of your high final gravity.

Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 62-72F, 16-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

whereas many of their other yeasts attenuate around the 73-77% range.

my most recent stout finished at 1.021

edit: i'd probably wait a week and bottle. that'd give you three weeks to carb and be ready for selection sunday.

Ah, I didn't notice that.

So if my OG was 1.052 and FG is 1.02 then my attenuation is around 62% and the beer is pretty much done based on the yeast strain I used, right? Am I right in thinking that the only thing that re-pitching would do at this point would be to squeeze a little more alcohol out of the remaining sugar, and that I could rack it without worrying?

I don't know, I think it could take it past 62. Try agitating the yeast to get it back into suspension, or perhaps adding a few oz. more malt extract boiled in water to kickstart it. Those two have always unstuck things for me.

Alright, I'll re-pitch with some Nottingham's and bottle in a week. Thanks for the advice guys!

Back