Un-refridgerated 1 week starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a yeast starter 6 days ago, on the stir plate for 48 hours, then shut off and let sit. Normally I brew on about day 5 (I don't cold crash starters as I don't like to put the yeast to sleep before pitching). I won't be brewing until tomorrow (almost day 7). Am I okay?

Just like making a beer and pitching again from the cake, will be fine.

Out of curiosity, do you not cold crash because of some personal experience of yeast lag, or just "because"?

My guess is that you probably lost some of the strength of the starter as it's been at room temp and I've read it's best to put 'em in the fridge if you can't use 'em for a few days as that keeps the yeast cells to use less energy than they do at room temp. So, if what I read/understand is correct, it might be a slow starting fermentation, but it should get going eventually.

Just like making a beer and pitching again from the cake, will be fine.

Out of curiosity, do you not cold crash because of some personal experience of yeast lag, or just "because"?

Just "because" honestly. Always done it this way, haven't been hard pressed for time so it flocculates enough to decant without crashing.
Not opposed to crashing. In hindsight if I knew i'd be 7 days I would have.

Just want to know if its going to be fine or not. I don't see much point in crashing now (using tomorrow) and if I add more wort, I'll have to turn on the plate again and it won't be done eating or flocculating in time.

Yeah, I would just leave it be if it's settled well enough and use it as is. If the starter was correctly sized for the batch, and with a stirplate it's hard not to be, I don't think you'll see any delay in fermentation. Be sure to let us know how it goes, I'm curious if it really lags the start to keep the starter at room temp so long.

Will definitely keep you informed. I generally have a bubble here and there about 4-5 hours in, and full airlock activity the morning after brew day.

We'll see, I'm glad it might just be delayed, that's fine. I wasn't sure about negative affects.

Harvested yeast that has been under beer in a fermentor for several weeks, or more, is considered fresh yeast. A starter container is just a very small fermentor with beer that has not been hopped. Your yeast is good.

I see it as the same as reusing yeast. I made a starter with plans to brew last weekend but that didn't happen. Brewed Friday, chilled overnight outside and pitched the yeast this morning. No activity in 8 hours but it's only warmed up to 60 today and its a 1.080 OG so I'm hoping it stays cool through the first day or two o f fermentation. Belgian ales apparently like heavy beers and warm temps.

Back