Ummmmmm........ what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishkin

Reaction score
I got home from work today and my krausen has started a race war. Sugar fueled violence has commenced in the country of Fermentania and the krausen has divided itself between two sides of the country in an apparent 'all out war'.

I don't get it. One side is white and the other side it brown. I cant quite figure out what caused it. Could it be that one side is getting more heat than the other since the fermenter is near a heating duct in my house. But the duct is a few feet away and the fermenter isnt right in the path of the heat it blows out so I don't think this can be the cause.
Could it be the yeast? At first I pitched a cold fermenting saflager yeast with the fermenter in an old fridge but it didnt start so i took the fermenter inside and repitched a warmer fermenting yeast. Could it be the 2 different yeasts separating from eachother?

251-5192_IMG.jpg

its probably cause that one side of the fermenter is subjected to a heat. That could be the result if a slow convection process with the liquid. Ya know... hot rises, cold falls. It may be enought to move all the hop and grain deposits to one side.

Simple experiment; rotate the carboy 180 degrees and see what happens. If all the honkies move to the other side (where they are now in relation to the heating duct), you've likely identified your cause.

It looks harmonious to me...yin and yang leaving peacefully, side-by-side. I think I'd call it a Zen Ale. Dark and light, hot and cold, hoppy and malty.

The real question is: why are you opening your bucket?

Your beer looks like an active ferment. Thats some good mixing going on down below the krausen at the moment...plenty to keep things swirling around w/ no heat pockets.

It's possible the bucket above the water-line is slightly warmer on one side than the other and it's causing whitey to move...

Give the bucket a 180 and take a look in a few days and let us know!

Man, ALL my fermenting worts have looked like that. I have a 6.5 carboy so's I'm always a-lookin' at it. White krausen comes first, brown krausen arrives second and then overcomes and totally mixes with the white. (I don't know if you want to assign any racial overtones to that situation, but the outcome is always tasty. :) )
Oh yeah, and I don't have a vent anywhere near my carboy.

THEnotMONK

olllllo said:
We oughta start a site. RateMyWort.com

ohhh yea, take the top off baby and show me your sweet sweet krausen. :D Oops. sorry, was having a Cheesefood moment there.

Cheesefood said:
The real question is: why are you opening your bucket?

Actually, the real question is:

Why did you switch your avatar from eye-candy to eye-vomit?

I know, I know... :off:

Cheers.

BrewStef

Mishkin said:
I didn't open the fermenter. It just has a clear lid. Thanks for the replies aswell. Hopefully both races start to get along now :)

Where on earth did you find something that cool? I want one! Hell, I want three!

Cheesefood said:
Where on earth did you find something that cool? I want one! Hell, I want three!
Haha, you mean the fermenter? It's just a coopers brand fermenter. I'm pretty sure you get those in the US don't you?

Mishkin said:
Haha, you mean the fermenter? It's just a coopers brand fermenter. I'm pretty sure you get those in the US don't you?

I haven't seen clear tops. I want a clear top. Why do Aussies get all the cool stuff? Kangaroos, hot chicks with cool accents, Crocodile Dundee, Yahoo Serious, Romper Stomper, great barrier reef, and now clear topped buckets.

Clear tops on buckets could lead to more plastic buckets being used as primaries and the end of the use of the carboy! Oh the humanity! What will we do with all these cast aside 6.5 carboys???

Ship em' to me.... :D :rockin:

Ize

Back