Ultra Low AA hops in the boil....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
Ok im brewing a IIPA and using some Wai-iti hops from NZ and they are only 2.9AA sposed to have a pungent lemon/lime/citrus zest flavour to them... pairing them with Galaxy,Cent and Cascade. Also dry hopping with all of them.

Being low AA, whats the outcome of say putting them in at 20mins opposed to
say 10mins and below, want the best out of them for flavour only in the boil as i am dry hopping a lot!

anyone got some suggestions?

At 20 minutes you wont get much bitterness, at 10 minutes you'll get almost none. The below link is a really useful tool of hop utilization:

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7238&nojs=1

Late addition hops (20 minutes or less) are great for flavor and aroma, and dry hopping will give the beer even more aroma. I am all for small amounts of bittering, and HUGE amounts of late additions. Sounds like a good brew!

don't bother putting those hops in any sooner than 15 mins. if they boil for more than 15 mins, you'll get very little flavor or aroma out of them. it's essentially a waste to use these fine, special hops for bittering. save them for the end of the boil.

to get an idea of your IBUs (bitterness), plug your recipe into Hopville, BeerSmith, or some other recipe software/website.

I hop my IPA's and Pale Ales almost exclusively in the last 15 minutes and have been very very pleased with the results.

don't bother putting those hops in any sooner than 15 mins. if they boil for more than 15 mins, you'll get very little flavor or aroma out of them. it's essentially a waste to use these fine, special hops for bittering. save them for the end of the boil.

to get an idea of your IBUs (bitterness), plug your recipe into Hopville, BeerSmith, or some other recipe software/website.

That's what i was essentially asking, being a super low AA would the flavour AND aroma be killed altogether by boiling to long.

Think ill put them all in under ten minutes to go, all hops will be going in 15mins and under, i will be using 12oz mixed of the hops listed above.

Plus 5.6oz dry hop

That's what i was essentially asking, being a super low AA would the flavour AND aroma be killed altogether by boiling to long.
this is the case for all hops - low AA and high AA. boil for a long time and you lose aroma & flavor, and you're left with only bitterness. if you use high AA hops you'll be left with a lot of bitterness. if you use low AA hops you'll be left with only a little bitterness.

Think ill put them all in under ten minutes to go, all hops will be going in 15mins and under, i will be using 12oz mixed of the hops listed above.

Plus 5.6oz dry hop
you can indeed add all hops in the last 15 minutes, that's called hop bursting. search for the forum for that term, you'll get plenty of info. personally i like adding at least a small amount of hops at the beginning of the boil, it helps with clarity. plus, it's slightly pointless to boil un-hopped beer for a full 60 minutes :cross:

With rare exceptions (like Zeus and 19.8), your flavor and aroma adds won't make a detectable difference in the final IBUs.

Something else you can do with ultra-low AA hops, make tea. Not a hop tea for your beer, just steeped tea. Hot or over ice.

Back