Uh oh. Garden hose water sprayed into wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withoutink

Reaction score
I started up the wort chiller and some garden hose water was spraying out of the seal on the wort chiller. I'm not certain how much may have gotten into the wort. If any at all. Will this be ok? It just came off boil 1min prior.

Probably will be okay? That hot wort should pasteurize anything that was in your hose. Table sugar, DME/LME, and hops are all common flameout additions, and the principles should be the same here. If it were me, I would just give it a stir and walk away for 15 minutes before chilling, but you ought to be okay anyway. Not that I would make a habit out of it.

I've had that happen a few times and there was no problem. Now I make sure I have a couple of washcloths draped over the connections before turning on the water. They still leak some times but they safely drip outside of the keg that way.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I started up the wort chiller and some garden hose water was spraying out of the seal on the wort chiller. I'm not certain how much may have gotten into the wort. If any at all. Will this be ok? It just came off boil 1min prior.

That's the main reason why I use a CFC. It's always scared the crap out of me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D50LO8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is the CFC that I use, and it works incredibly well especially with my ground water always right around 65-70 degrees!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I'll pray all is well. I guess I won't know for a bit.

Every person who does partial boils with extract add in cold water from the tap at the end to get their final volume, you'll be fine

My personal concern wasn't the tap water so much as the hose. I don't even want to know what's living in there... I still think it will likely be totally fine, though.

My personal concern wasn't the tap water so much as the hose. I don't even want to know what's living in there... I still think it will likely be totally fine, though.

I think you will. I grew up drinking from hoses, surely yeast can fight off whatever may have gotten in there. It's scary though, I admit when my chiller sprayed tap water in my beer Wednesday my heart skipped three and a half beats for sure.

"It just came off boil 1min prior."

Then it was still about 200' F. If there was something in the water, it was killed.

I have on a couple of occasions intentionally added a substantial amount of hose water to the wort when I miscalculated boil off volume. I don't recommend it but neither batch ended up infected. I think you're probably fine :)

Every person who does partial boils with extract add in cold water from the tap at the end to get their final volume, you'll be fine

Nope. Most of us use bottled spring/reverse osmosis/distilled water. No chlorine/floride in it and it's sterile.

Nope. Most of us use bottled spring/reverse osmosis/distilled water. No chlorine/floride in it and it's sterile.

Next time I'll use bottled spring water. Way easier than boiling / cooling. Thanks for that super obvious tip.

I had the same problem on my last batch. I learned to run a test on the IC BEFORE using it to check any leaks in the hosing/clamps. That being said, my beer fermented fine and I bottled it a week ago. All my samples have tasted fine and I never saw any signs of infection. But, my new brew day I'll be sure to tighten the screws on my IC as I get everything prepped for brewing!

Next time I'll use bottled spring water. Way easier than boiling / cooling. Thanks for that super obvious tip.

I still use an immersion chiller when I top it off. Get it as cool as I can before I add more spring water. Then I stir it up and add my aeration stone while I get everything ready for transferring to my primary and pitching the yeast.

The exact same thing happened to me once. That beer won a silver at the Colorado State Fair. So things are looking up, I guess. :)

I wouldn't worry about it, ive had a lot worse happen. I even tested how foreign yeasts attack a cup full of post boiled and cooled wort... I've left it in my kitchen for a week doing regular things. I have a dog and 2 kids as well. A few dog hairs wound up in it along with some other types of nasty crap and it never fermented. I tested this by adding a bit of a slurry and it started fermenting instantly. Our wort is more durable than you think.

I still use an immersion chiller when I top it off. Get it as cool as I can before I add more spring water. Then I stir it up and add my aeration stone while I get everything ready for transferring to my primary and pitching the yeast.

What's an aeration stone? Like one from a fish tank? Is it recommended for extract fermentation?

Thanks all. I panicked as it was my first brew, and up until then everything went great.

I'll agree on the lower fluoride and chlorine content in RO or distilled water. But there are no such controls on spring water, depends on the water source. And none of these methods produce sterile water, especially spring water. Bottled water is tested only at bottling, while municipal water is monitored multiple times a day. Not starting Internet wars, but not using tap water because it isn't as clean is throwing money at these companies. I'll agree for mineral content or taste reasons.
Health Canada link is better on the eyes than FDA, and I'm Canadian.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/facts-faits/faqs_bottle_water-eau_embouteillee-eng.php

An aeration stone is usually a stainless steel diffusion stone attached to either an aquarium pump (with an inline filter) or directly to an oxygen tank and then inserted (sanitized of course) directly into the cooled wort. Some people have used regular aquarium air stones, but others say those clog real easily, or create bubbles too big to really help oxygenate. Other say they just buy 'em real cheap in bulk and throw them away after each use. Stainless steel diffusion stones are around $10-$15 and can be cleaned by boiling in water for 10-15 minutes before and after use. Some say adding oxygen to dried (even reydrated yeast) is meaningless while others say it helps. I've never read it hurts anything with dried yeast and should definitely help with liquid yeast. If you use an aquarium pump setup, you'll want to submerge it into the cooled wort for 15-20 minutes (or until foam appears atop the wort). If you go with direct oxygen from a Home Depot $10 oxygen tank, you'll only need to blast it with O2 for like 30 or so seconds. I've read a $510 O2 tank lasts about 15 or so batches before the O2 is gone. If you go aquarium setup, be sure to keep your filter dry or you'll get mold and you'll have to replace. They're about $5-$7. It's just an easier way to add O2 to your wort to help the yeast, but shaking the carboy is free - just takes longer. Filtering your wort through a nice sanitized strainer can help aerate wort prior to pitching too.

I'll agree on the lower fluoride and chlorine content in RO or distilled water. But there are no such controls on spring water, depends on the water source. And none of these methods produce sterile water, especially spring water. Bottled water is tested only at bottling, while municipal water is monitored multiple times a day. Not starting Internet wars, but not using tap water because it isn't as clean is throwing money at these companies. I'll agree for mineral content or taste reasons.

Health Canada link is better on the eyes than FDA, and I'm Canadian.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/facts-faits/faqs_bottle_water-eau_embouteillee-eng.php

Spring water comes from a spring, it is quite clean and has no fluoride or chlorine added to it since it is not the municipal water supply.

Bottled spring water sold at the supermarket comes from a spring source, which may be a well drilled to intercept the spring to enable pumping at a rate much greater than natural spring flow. This product must meet certain health criteria and to my knowledge does not have fluoride or chlorine added. Fluoride may occur naturally at the source but, provided it doesn't exceed health based limits, is not a problem with sale. Other minerals may meet these limits but not be compatible with brewing. You should be able to obtain analysis results from the bottler.

Spring water seems to bring the idea of purity to mind but I've seen many private springs that are anything but.

Back