Ugh, what to brew next??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_boc

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a relatively new homebrewer. I just finished my 2nd brew (a porter that's currently conditioning), and am looking to try something new. My first brew was an amber. I can only do extract brewing right now, as I don't have the money or experience to do any all grain just yet.

What would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance!

What are your favorite beers? Maybe brew a clone of one of your favorites. I brewed a lot of clones when I first started because it gave me a point of reference to tell if the brew turned out the way it was supposed to.

Well, if you've done an amber and a porter, you still have lots of choices. Let's see- red ale, English pale ale, American pale ale (one of my favorites), India pale ale (my very favorite), English brown ale, a kolsch, an ESB (I made a Redhook ESB clone that's good), and so many more!

cnbudz is right- tell us which commercial beers you like, and we can help you with some ideas!

Well, I do like pale ales. My all time favorite beer was Old Towne Porter. For those of you that don't live in the Northern Alabama area, the closest comparison I can think of would be Sam Adams Cream Stout. Not exactly the same types of ale, but it's still a pretty close comparison.

My favorite beer for the fall/winter months are pumpkin ales or other seasonal type ales. I also really enjoy a good Boddingtons now and then. :)
Anyone have any suggestions on those types?

cnbudz said:
What are your favorite beers? Maybe brew a clone of one of your favorites. I brewed a lot of clones when I first started because it gave me a point of reference to tell if the brew turned out the way it was supposed to.

Sorry if i'm highjacking this thread, but i love a certain beer and was wondering how i go about cloning it. Can you clone a beer if you only do extract brewing? This beer is called erdinger octoberfest..It's very tasty..

Bulls Beers said:
Sorry if i'm highjacking this thread, but i love a certain beer and was wondering how i go about cloning it. Can you clone a beer if you only do extract brewing? This beer is called erdinger octoberfest..It's very tasty..

If you can find a recipe for it, sure! I never heard of it, so maybe google it and find one and post it here for review and/or conversion if it's an AG recipe.

I'm not a pumpkin ale fan, but I know there are some in the recipe database. Maybe take a look through the recipe database and if you see something good that needs to be converted into extract, let us know.

Bulls Beers said:

I just googled it and only found reviews, maybe find another oktoberfest recipe and try to modify it

Back