Tyler Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to Texas! As far as homebrew shops, Homebrew HQ in Richardson is a great shop with good selection and knowledgeable staff. Sorry to see such negativity from Mongrel and a few others, but for most cities, that are "dry" you can still buy beer and wine. Just not liquor. I live in Denton, (North of DFW) and there are quite a bit of craft beers available at different locations. Maybe it's because liquor isn't available in Denton, but there are actually some good barleywines, Imperial Stouts, and IIPA's to be found.

Anyway, best of luck and once again, Welcome to Texas!

Tom

I already have happy jacks "starred" on my google maps on my phone its the closest place to get some "take home" alcohol and beer.

if you know of a cheap room for rent please let me know I really don't like the idea of sleeping in my car. Hotels are to much money and there are a lot of places available but for much more than i am willing to pay.

-=Jason=-

I'll keep my ear to the ground, I actually live just southwest of Tyler (about 200 yards outside of city limits). Just north of Gresham.
There are a few hotels with weekly rates on the NNW side of Loop 323. Cannot remember for the life of me what the rates were. But it wasn't terrible.

Congratulations on your new job and welcome to Texas, I used to manage the hospital in that area and spent a lot of time in Taylor...I would expand your housing search to live on the lake (great fishing). I would also recommend some site seeing: Go to Rahr Brewery in Fort Worth on Saturday at 1:00pm (arrive at 1:00 because the line gets huge) bring a folding chair....second go to Stockyards while you are there and drink a cold one at the Love Shack and watch live music, final thing in Fort Worth...go to Joe T Garcias when your family comes down...Of course take in a Rangers Game and if you play it smart, do the Cowboys Stadium tour before the game (they are next to each other)....You are close to Shreveport, so if you want to get away and gamble it's good times up there and cheap rooms...in Dallas try Bone Daddy's (without the family) they have amazing BBQ, but the waitress's dont wear much...also there is a huge Motorcycle Rally in your area that brings a lot of great music, beer and food!

I work for HD Supply Waterworks and just want to be all moved into a house with my family already.

I loved what I saw the week I was there 21st through the 25th.

I have heard south Tyler is where you want to live, try and find a place in white house or in the White House school district.

-=Jason=-

Flomaster said:
I work for HD Supply Waterworks and just want to be all moved into a house with my family already.

I loved what I saw the week I was there 21st through the 25th.

I have heard south Tyler is where you want to live, try and find a place in white house or in the White House school district.

-=Jason=-

Southwest Tyler has alot of residential areas. And yes, Whitehouse is a much better school district. (I went to school in whitehouse, Wildcats FTW). In fact, my parents still live in whitehouse.

Houses are cheaper there and it's only a five minute drive to Tyler. When you get here, we should hit up BJ's for some beers.

Congrats, no matter what the nay sayers talk about, Texas is better then a lot of other states.
Yes, we have long summers, but shorter then AZ.
AHS is best in the state, De Falcos is in Houston which is a huge pain to get around.
Plus its not in a nice area of town..

I travel to Tyler once a month for work and believe it or not you picked the best time to move, they just opened a BJ's by the mall in February. Before that there was not a single place with a decent selection of craft beer. In the last year I've been to pretty much every establishment checking. BJ's has about ten originals (which are $2 on Tuesdays). They also have about 20 micro and macros on tap and another 15 or so good selections in bottles. The food is awesome, great atmosphere and they have the largest TV I've ever seen over the bar, the bartender said it's about $40k, when split into four screens they each look like about a 50 inch so it's great for watching games.

It being a dry county is inconvenient but if you head toward I-45 from Tyler there are two large liquor stores with great beer selections about 15 minutes away by the lake. There are also a bunch of other great eateries there, I use Yelp on my phone and try something new most times I go. I know it's a hike but there's a great shop Brew It Yourself north of Houston off of 45, don't know of any that are closer. If you ever do make the drive to Houston on 45 there's also a ridiculous BBQ place and a Buccee's for jerky, fudge, seasoning, etc.

On another note, if you ever need to stay at a hotel, when the Hilton is booked I've stayed at the Hampton, and they have....wait for it...free beer. They keep a huge barrel full of ice cold beer, no charge, no limit, for guests. And on a smaller note the free breakfast is pretty good too. :mug:

My company's corporate office is in Tyler, so I've driven out there a few times. It's definitely not Dallas, but it's not Mayberry either. I hear that they are building a Chipotle and a Chuy's there soon, both of which are damn good. It's got a small town, East Texas feel to it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I would recommend just buying homebrew supplies online, but if you're willing to make the drive, Homebrew HQ in Richardson is great. They have a great selection and incredibly helpful staff.

Good luck finding a place to live. I would try checking craigs list if you're looking for something fast and cheap.

Chuy's is almost done. I hadn't heard about chipotle.
And to quell the fears about it being dry, it isn't anymore. It's 'damp'. My liquor store/drive-thru is in smith county. A whole 5-10 min from tyler.
Here's my video of my store.

Don't mind the idiot talking

Ahs is overnight shipping to Tyler, and BMW takes 2 days

Last edited by a moderator:
Southwest Tyler has alot of residential areas. And yes, Whitehouse is a much better school district. (I went to school in whitehouse, Wildcats FTW). In fact, my parents still live in whitehouse.

Houses are cheaper there and it's only a five minute drive to Tyler. When you get here, we should hit up BJ's for some beers.
BJ's **** YEAH... used to hit up BJ's in Brea Ca when I lived there.

is this the BJ's you speak of?
http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/

yes it is... the location menu on the website says there is one. FML why didn't I know that when I was there for a week. stupid ****ing urban spoon didn't have anything on Bj's....

On another note, if you ever need to stay at a hotel, when the Hilton is booked I've stayed at the Hampton, and they have....wait for it...free beer. They keep a huge barrel full of ice cold beer, no charge, no limit, for guests. And on a smaller note the free breakfast is pretty good too. :mug:

FML I stayed at Hampton when I flew out for my interview I had no idea about the beer. ;(

Chipotle:
Good luck finding a place to live. I would try checking craigs list if you're looking for something fast and cheap.

via craigslist I just scored a RV-Motorhome for a month or two until I can find a house to rent and move SWMBO and the wee lil man out to Tyler.

and Chipotle Ohhhh Yeah how I have missed it. when living in Ca I was a restaurant Manager for Chipotle I miss the food dearly, but the long hours and quality of life sucked.
-=Jason=-

is Tyler good for growing hops?

I'd love to grow me some hops once I get settled in.

-=Jason=-

Well I have arrived. I looking for a house for the family so I can move them out.

Anyone know of a place or realtor?

I'm staying in a dumpy RV and really want to find a home asap.

-=jason=-

My wife is from Tyler and knows quite a few realtors. It's midnight right now but I'll get her to get me names and will shoot you a PM on Sunday.

Tyler is a pretty cool town, great place to raise a family. I'm in Austin so if you ever needed I could potentially bring you some supplies from AHS when we come to visit family. I'm all for helping out fellow homebrewers.

Tyler summers don't even compare to Houston/Austin/South Texas heat. Good luck with the new job and keep and eye on your inbox tomorrow.

Tyler summers don't even compare to Houston/Austin/South Texas heat. Good luck with the new job and keep and eye on your inbox tomorrow.

Dude, it's freakin HOT here in the summer...as hot as Houston and Austin. The humidity sucks ass. I don't think a few degrees of latitude will make that much of a difference in the overall climate among the stated towns.

I'll give you South Texas though...you have a point there.

Let's NOT drink a case of beer and then goto BJ's again. Felt horrible the next day.

*bump*

Since this appears to be the official TYLER, TEXAS thread: Anyone interested in doing some brewing sometime? Maybe starting a club? My wife is getting really tired of me talking to her about brewing.

im near San Antonio right now, but might be moving to Tyler in the next few months, if yall form a homebrew club id love to join if i move.

I lived just north of Phoenix when in AZ and didn't wish at all to live in the city I liked being 2 hours away. same here Tyler is close enough to big cities you can make a drive to and from in one day if need be. I'm a Family man now so clubs, bars, etc don't tickle my fancy.

-=Jason=-

Jason, I'm in south Tyler near the mall. Dang... I'm going to Austin this weekend (and stopping by AHS to fill my CO2 and get a few things). I'm brewing BM's Cream of Three Crops Wednesday night because I'm tied up next weekend. We should brew sometime.

pm5k00 said:
im near San Antonio right now, but might be moving to Tyler in the next few months, if yall form a homebrew club id love to join if i move.

Sounds good! Let us know when you are about to make the move!

Awesome! Three is a good start! Anyone else down? Flowmaster? Ryanmarc? Ikonis?

when I was brewing my Watermelon wheat a guy stopped by who lives in hideaway lake, he says he home brews and was a member here on HBT.

-=Jason=-

hey Jason,
so i will be going to tyler the week of the 22nd!! ring a bell??
i am starting a new job and will be in there N.O.C. for a week in tyler befor going back to my area (oklahoma for now tyler later if i want) so i will be there for a week we should get together one day for a few beers.

hey Jason,
so i will be going to tyler the week of the 22nd!! ring a bell??
i am starting a new job and will be in there N.O.C. for a week in tyler befor going back to my area (oklahoma for now tyler later if i want) so i will be there for a week we should get together one day for a few beers.

for sure, maybe meet up at Bj's for some beers

-=Jason=-

Flomaster said:
when I was brewing my Watermelon wheat a guy stopped by who lives in hideaway lake, he says he home brews and was a member here on HBT.

-=Jason=-

Cool. That's a nice area!

I've got a wife and two little kids under the age of three. It would be nice to hang out once a month with other home brewers, sample some brews, etc. What part of Tyler did you end up moving to?

Strange...didn't know anyone would willingly move to Texas ;)

Fixed it for you.

I lived just north of Phoenix when in AZ and didn't wish at all to live in the city I liked being 2 hours away. same here Tyler is close enough to big cities you can make a drive to and from in one day if need be. I'm a Family man now so clubs, bars, etc don't tickle my fancy.

-=Jason=-

Where did you live North of Phoenix? Did you rent your house yet?

Cool. That's a nice area!

I've got a wife and two little kids under the age of three. It would be nice to hang out once a month with other home brewers, sample some brews, etc. What part of Tyler did you end up moving to?
actually Moved to Lindale, signed a 1 year lease that we will not be extending. so we are going to be in Tyler next year some time.

I have a son who's 21 months and a daughter due in Sept.

Fixed it for you.

Where did you live North of Phoenix? Did you rent your house yet?

Lived in Prescott eerr actually Chino Valley... house is empty and awaiting the bank to take it back. owe 200K and its only worth 85K now

-=Jason=-

Dang man. Would offer to buy it, but we're on Cave Creek, and that's too far a commute.

Sorry to hear it man.

Flomaster said:
actually Moved to Lindale, signed a 1 year lease that we will not be extending. so we are going to be in Tyler next year some time.

I have a son who's 21 months and a daughter due in Sept.

Lived in Prescott eerr actually Chino Valley... house is empty and awaiting the bank to take it back. owe 200K and its only worth 85K now

-=Jason=-

Lindale is really close... I have family there. What are you brewing this weekend?

Hobnob said:
Lindale is really close... I have family there. What are you brewing this weekend?

Yes brewing sunday afternoon ish. Stop by if your not doing anything

-= Jason =-

A club sounds pretty good to me, and I have a friend who is wanting to get into brewing. I bet we could have a decent sized group from the get go.

Also, I'll be brewing me up AHS's West Coast Pale Ale this weekend...can't wait.

Latest posts

Back