Tx Brew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
Just curious who is the picture in the Avatar ? Its say "Der Administrator" so assume it is someone German but only German with round glasses that is famous that comes to mind is Himmler and that doesnt look like him.

Just curious who it is. Family or someone famous?

Just seen the picture a time or two and always wondered who it is so thought id ask.

I love Herman Hesse, I have read all his novels. I even just started a glass bead game with the Wilheim I ching.

Magister Ludi is last on my list, it being his last book I haven't read, and the pinnacle of his work, I have a hard time sitting down and reading it. I think if it exceeds my expectations, then there is no more Hesse for me, if it comes in under, well, I don't know what I will do.

I have spent a lot of time reading everything he has produced, and have read most of his poetry in the original German, not because I speak German, but to better understand the flow of it.

My favorite is still Brother Death.

You will come to me too some day,
You will not forget me.
And the torment ends,
And the fetter breaks.
Still, you seem strange and far,
Dear brother death.
You stand like a cold star
Above my trouble.
But some day you will be near
And full of flames.
Come, beloved, I am here,
Take me, I am yours.

I think it's the beauty of the work, contrasted with death, that I find so appealing about it. Like a sad clown, only less scary.

i agree with you about Master Ludi, it is difficult to read, but if you read Gravity's Rainbow you can read anything. Fortunately I started reading him 40 years ago, so I had more stamina. I did get a German copy of Master Ludi for a birthday present for a friend born in the old country, it was nice to listen to her read out loud different passages. Here is my link to hexagrams I have done so far.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25419412@N03/sets/72157625275824824/

I would love to see it. Was it an original print?

I'm sure I can read it, I worry more that it would be bellow my expectations, although none of his work is. To hear Thomas Mann say it, this is the end all of Hesse's works, I find that idea very powerful for some reason.

What's your favorite novel/ anything he ever wrote?

In way of short stories I enjoy The Wolf, the imagery stands out in my head very sharply.

I like his later work, but I find I enjoy his earleier novels more, Peter Camazind, is one of the best first novels ever written, Rosshalde, written before his adventures in the east, was a start into the literature he was going to write, and sort of a fare well to the idea of Germany as his home I think.

Narcissus and Goldmund, is one of my favorites, I just realized I am going to list everything he has ever done and why I liked it.

I like it all.

Check this out it is called a "Text Portrait" of him

hermann-hesse-foto.jpg

From here, http://textportrait.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/barbara-kendrick-exhibition/

Narcissus and Goldmund made a strong impression on me when I read it as a teenager 40 years ago, it is hard to rule it out as a favorite. I read Steppenwolf last year and was so surprised when it turned like the tide from a schizophrenic dementia story to a love story, what a word smith he is! I am with you about the Wolf being my favorite short story! Demaian is calling to me now on the desk here, right under Atlas Shrugged 50th year edition!

Check this out it is called a "Text Portrait" of him

hermann-hesse-foto.jpg

From here, http://textportrait.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/barbara-kendrick-exhibition/

Cool, new desktop. Thanks Revy

Narcissus and Goldmund made a strong impression on me when I read it as a teenager 40 years ago, it is hard to rule it out as a favorite. I read Steppenwolf last year and was so surprised when it turned like the tide from a schizophrenic dementia story to a love story, what a word smith he is! I am with you about the Wolf being my favorite short story! Demaian is calling to me now on the desk here, right under Atlas Shrugged 50th year edition!

Beneath the Wheel made the biggest impression on me when I was a teenager.

Gertrude in my early 20's.

You know every single one of his writings left a distinct impression on me.

I feel I grow with his books, then when I go back and read them, they explain my now. Hesse seems to capture the sense of alienation better than any other author I have had the pleasure to read.

His lessons and observations are timeless.

To quote him "As a body everyone is single, as a soul never. ". To feel both alone and connected, is a complexity few can write about, at least to my experience, but I find beauty in that.

Demian is a quick read. It's a flurry, very much like Steppenwolf. It also is a bridge to his later works, where he starts contemplating the idea of self and what it means to be oneself more and more.

Back