two "quick" low oxygen questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
so for the life of me i cant seem to find the calculators that were around here that would give you ppm figures for your Sodium and Potassium metabisulfite additions... anyone know where they are? the wine ones all seem screwy to me.

and--

is there any reason i should worry about using a copper chiller to cool my strike water after boiling it? i dont add salts/acids until its chilled. city water is like pH of 8. since all the plumbing in the house is copper i cant see that it makes a difference at this point.

or does it?

i use the stainless for chilling wort, but its alot slower.

ok- so i ended up finding the quick/easy calculator if anyone's interested.

two part process-
here's the link to the spreadsheet- its the "Trifecta Calculator" link in post 1
LOB Alternative To Dry Hopping: Making A Hop Tea or DIY Hop Extract.

and here's what you need to do to fix the spreadsheet so it works- see post 34
LOB Alternative To Dry Hopping: Making A Hop Tea or DIY Hop Extract.

so anyone got some insight about using copper chiller to cool strikewater (prior to any water treatments)?

In your situation with the city water pH and house plumbing I wouldn't sweat using the copper coil. Your Brewtan B or equivalent now has a really real job in the brewhouse. Without going down a rabbit hole, you could use some of the calculated mash total prior to chilling with the copper and call it good. That's what I would do if I boiled strike water.

Here is a formula I have seen. It was stated to forget percentages, as they aren't useful.
Determine desired ppm of SMB/PMB and calculate grams.
[ this is for water volume in mash]
For powder- Grams = [ PPM [MB] * Volume [ liters] / 1000
example - 25 PPM x 20 liters=500 / 1000 = .5 gram
For Campden- Grams = [ [PPM [MB] * Volume [liters] ] / 1000] /0.75
example - 25 PPM x 20 liters =500 / 1000 =.5 /0.75 = .66 grams
So a little more for Campden tablets.
Add same amount for Ascorbic Acid.
Dose Brewtan B per manufacturer
Just adjust the PPM to your desired amount.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back