Two container HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minbari

Reaction score
hopefully this hasnt been answered too many times before.

I am looking to biuld up my first brew system and it is looking like a HERMS is the way to go. I am curious if some experienced people think this will work well?

please poke any holes in my idea and suggest fixes for anything I might have overlooked.

u2eipW3PJzmmkLxY

the sparge arm will be in the pot, it is outside for illustrative purposes only. There will be a screened pot inside the main pot for containing the grain.

VPQup4hU6OzB3Mi3

The HLT will be temp controlled via a temp controller. most likely an electric heater.

KJI9lKlgYBD1gvGQ

Again, the sparge arm will be in the pot. The grain will be removed from the BK by removing the screened inner pot. It will then be put back in for containing the hops.

4sCZWSwkXFd0AYNn

cooling the wort. I have a submersible pump to circulate the water to make sure cool water is always on the heat exchanger.

sPgZcNXWRgNzMrok

Transferring to the fermentation bucket.

vwe8Q7vDLsM3r8MM

So are you basically doing a BIAB with a HERMS coil?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ya, I guess that would be a good way to characterize it. only difference is the "bag" is going to be a SS mesh "pot" inside the MLT/BK. This will allow it to be stirred instead of just dipped.

I am trying to save money as well as space. One less pot to buy and setup.

Just buy a bucket for your to collect your runnings into and use your BK for a HLT, when the HLT(BK) is empty from the sparge dump the bucket collected runnings into it and continute to collect and fill up BK. A friend does this all the time he only has 2 pots. then you can get a cooler MLT and save more money and have the herms be even more effective.

Back