Two Brothers' Tap House Opening!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, lots of fun. It was kinda BS that we didn't get to take the tour, but the beer was pretty good and the food wasn't bad either.

We had a great time. Got there at noon and left at 6:00.:eek: They still have to work out some kinks at 2 Bros. Taphouse, but that was their first dine-in lunch they did, so we'll cut them some slack. It was too bad we didn't get the tour, but they were short on staff. Guess we'll have to go back some day.:D

It was good to see some old faces and meet some new ones. Looking forward to next time!

Cheers!
:mug:

Yeah, it was good to see everyone again. Next time we'll have to make sure we have arrangements for a tour and call it an "official event" so that we can bring HB in and do a bit of a swap/tasting. Or, we'll meet up at Joe's shop and do a swap there.

Good time. Nice to meet a few of you finally. I'm enjoying the last of my Cane & Ebel growler right now, though its gone a little flat. SWMBO and I took care of most of it while watching a movie last night. I think I cut out at the right time. Scored the last growler before they ran out and if I would've stayed until 6:00 I think I would've been heading for drunken territory.

Yeah, they have some kinks to work out at the Tap House, but the beers are great and the Mac & Cheese I had was pretty darn good. I'll be back. Taking SWMBO with me next time. She was happy with that take home C&E though.

jvh261 said:
...the Mac & Cheese I had was pretty darn good. ...

Yeah, that stuff looked tasty. Kelly & I opted for the pizza and it was really good. Hopefully, things will run smoother with time.

It was good to see everyone and to meet some new people. We'll have to do it again. Maybe Lunar Brewing next time!

This thread is great.
I was turned on to 2bros via the Heavy Handed last OCT. when I purchased a 1/2bbl after trying a 6pack.
I've been excited for their new location since and am planning on getting out there asap.
Had plans for this Sat., March 1st but due to other commitments that came up, cannot make it now.
So, April will have to do I guess....

Interesting new news on their site:

Due to huge attendance volumes, tours are now EVERY Saturday at 1:00.

Wednesday March 5th: WOW! We had a huge amount of people come through the Tap House and to tour the brewery this weekend. Saturday was way busier than we ever expected. On one of the tours I was speaking at the top of my lungs and I know the people in the back still could not hear me. Sorry to those of you who did not get samples after the tour due to the Tap House being so busy. We have re-evaluated the way tours are done on many levels and I think we have fixed the issues. As you can see, one thing that should help is that we will now have tours every weekend. Also, we have doubled our serving staff. This was not only in response to the slow service but also because I came in to have lunch with my family and ended up working behind the bar for 2 1/2 hours just to help keep up a little bit. I think things will run a lot smoother from here on out.

We will be having our first beer event at the Tap House on Sunday March 16th starting at 5:00. We will be tapping our Monarch White Beer in celebration of our 11th anniversary. So, come join us for free food and great beer as we tap the Monarch White Beer for only the 12th time. Monarch White 6-packs will be available early the following week.

Costco is starting today. By the end of the week we will be in all the Illinois locations with our new variety pack case. We created a beautiful, full color case box for them with the four different beers displayed on the case. Grab it while you can.

Cheers

The website still says they're hiring, but I haven't heard back from them. It's been a long time, next time I stop by I'll ask about it.

That is good news! They were definitely short staffed when we were there. Sounds like the place is going to be a big success! I plan to go again ASAP, but right now, with things so busy, I don't know when that will be.

Rhoobarb said:
Hey, where have you been?!

Well......

Kim bought us an Xbox 360, so we've been playing a LOT of that...i finally got my modular synth up and running, so i've been playing on that a lot. And working a lot.

And cross your fingers, i just had a second interview for a position in the audio department at a video game company.

vav said:
... And cross your fingers, i just had a second interview for a position in the audio department at a video game company.
Cool!!!:) I'll keep them crossed for you. Let us know how it turns out.

Made it there yesterday and enjoyed our time. Arrived a bit after 3pm and there was a small crowd...but as time rolled on, more people arrived. There was a nice gathering by the time we left.
It happened to be their anniversary celebration and also their yearly breakout of Monarch White:

"We will be having our first beer event at the Tap House on Sunday March 16th starting at 5:00. We will be tapping our Monarch White Beer in celebration of our 11th anniversary. So, come join us for free food and great beer as we tap the Monarch White Beer for only the 12th time. Monarch White 6-packs will be available early the following week."

"Monarch White is our anniversary ale brewed once a year in a
small batch. It is brewed with unmalted wheat and a touch of oats
for a light body and crisp, refreshing finish. It is then spiced with
coriander and orange peel giving this Belgian-style White Beer it's
traditional citrus aroma and flavor.
(Available on March 16th)"

Just before 5pm Jim gave a quick introductory speech to introduce Jason and he thanked everyone for the support and then detailed the Monarch before allowing the pouring to begin. Looked like at least one local news crew was there and they were mostly interviewing Jason in the brewery from what we could see through the window. Jim seemed pretty stressed leading up to everything but maybe 10 minutes after the Monarch was open, he pulled a report next to us and came by our table all smiles saying something like "How are you enjoying the Monarch? Looks like others might be as well since we already went through 44 (glasses sold)!".

Enjoyed a few of their brews...most noteworthy for me was the Hop Juice, Caine and Ebel, and Monarch. I tried a few others but none were super noteworthy...though decent.
We had some burgers/fries which were pretty good. The free grub for the anniversary was some chicken fingers as well as a taco dip/tortilla chips etc. I also tried some of their own root beer which was tasty too.

My only real complaint may have been for first timers trying to find the place. They need to invest in some signs at the least lol. Especially off the main road so as to attract others that may be interested but have no clue what lies in that industrial back area.
Another nitpick might be only having one urinal and one toilet in the mens room. If they didn't frame out a hallway for the restrooms, they sure could have added at least one more urinal lol.

If this shop was closer to me, I'd probably visit more often since it was an overall good experience.

Yeah, it's really difficult to find, and there's nearly no signage.

Not sure how I would solve that problem, but I agree.

I was just looking at their web site, they are selling their brew in local Jewel / Osco

2501 SCHAUMBURG RD, SCHAUMBURG IL 60194
1177 SOUTH MAIN ST, LOMBARD IL 60148
800 N MAIN STREET, ELBURN, IL 60119
1227 NAPER BLVD, NAPERVILLE IL 60540
127 E OGDEN AVE, LISLE IL 60532
30 DANADA SQUARE WEST, WHEATON IL 60187
652 KIRK ROAD, SAINT CHARLES IL 60174
2940 N ASHLAND AVE, CHICAGO IL 60657
3531 N BROADWAY ST, CHICAGO IL 60657
3630 N SOUTHPORT AVE, CHICAGO IL 60613
2855 W 95TH ST, NAPERVILLE IL 60564
16 S WAUKEGAN RD, DEERFIELD IL 60015
1600 WEST DEERFIELD ROAD, HIGHLAND PARK IL 60035
485 ELA RD, LAKE ZURICH IL 60047
1759 W OGDEN AVE, NAPERVILLE IL 60540
**NEW** GRAND OPENING TBD 370 N. DESPLAINES, CHICAGO
1224 S WABASH, CHICAGO, IL

I think I'm gonna check it out for dinner this Sat.
I'd like to get the damm tour, but I'm planning on hitting the trout fishing opener..

I think I'm just about done using Brewer's Coop. Their stock has been poor, the help isn't knowledgeable and they're often closed during business hours. It's pretty obvious they just don't care about that part of the business anymore.

plus the web site doesn't even work correctly, I've never been there.. the places in Elmhurst or St. Charles are closer, and the internet is easier

rdwj said:
I think I'm just about done using Brewer's Coop. Their stock has been poor, the help isn't knowledgeable and they're often closed during business hours. It's pretty obvious they just don't care about that part of the business anymore.

Yeah ... last time I went in (last friday) the store was closed and locked. They had to get the manager to unlock it so I could get what I need. Which, of course they didn't have. All out of hop (not surprising), but had a very limited selection of yeast, and the malt supply is dwindling and doesn't seem to be getting replinished.

If I need something, then I'm just planning on calling ahead to make sure they have it ...

rdwj said:

I'm done with that place, I'll only go there in desperation. Everytime I go there they are never open. What should take me 5 minutes during my lunch hour takes at least a half hour because they usually need to round someone up to open the place. One time I got there about 12:15 and they told me the guy with the key left for lunch. What a joke. And another thing, they are not real friendly anyway so why give them the business.

When I was there the other week, I found the shop first before the brewpub. I was hoping to go in and check it out and purchase some odds/ends...of course it was closed lol.
Since they're not local for me really, they wouldn't get much business out of me anyway...however for you local folks...
Has anyone complained to them on all this? Sent an email maybe?
Maybe the distraction of the brewpub is at root and they just need to be reminded that they are indeed losing customers because of the lackluster attitude.

FEARDIZ said:
plus the web site doesn't even work correctly...

Yeah, I've wondered why they haven't spent at least a couple of fazuls to hire a web designer to do something a little more professional. Love their beers, but their website makes them look really third rate. They'd be better off just using a premade blog format the way it is now. Its really bad.

Top notch brew.
Piss poor site.

Shame, it is. The Coop used to be my go to shop. When I lived in Warrenville, it was my home away from home! But it looks like they are really focusing more on the brewery and the taphouse. Can't blame them, I guess; those are the real money makers. Still, in the Naper-Plainfield-Aurora Triangle, you'd think a fully stocked shop could really flourish.

I've been buying from Northern Brewer and sometimes Brew & Grow in Schaumburg, b/c I work in S'burg. Otherwise, it'd probably be NB all the time.
skybrew said:
You guys might want to try and visit these guys.

http://www.foxvalleybrew.com
It is a small shop but they do have a good hops supply. They are friendly and always offer a sample of what they have in their kegerator. They also have a return visit discount card.
Did they move from downtown? First time I was there, they had a real limited selection. They ordered some White Labs Alt yeast for me b/c they had little stock. It arrived in ~4-5 days, which was cool. A few weeks later I wanted another WL yeast - something pedestrian like WLP002 or 007 - and called ahead to see if they had it. Nope. How long would it be if they special ordered it? "About a month." WTF, a month?

First time I went was on a Saturday and the guy there was fairly knowledgeable. He said they were looking at possibly moving out of downtown Aurora, maybe even to Plainfield. The second and last time I went, there was some doofus who didn't know his butt from third base. He didn't know where anything was. SWMBO was even making fun of him behind his back!

Not meaning to shoot down your suggestion. Just hoping they've improved.:) They did offer us a couple of samples, but no mention of a return visit discount card.

Rhoobarb said:
Shame, it is. The Coop used to be my go to shop. When I lived in Warrenville, it was my home away from home! But it looks like they are really focusing more on the brewery and the taphouse. Can't blame them, I guess; those are the real money makers. Still, in the Naper-Plainfield-Aurora Triangle, you'd think a fully stocked shop could really flourish.

I've been buying from Northern Brewer and sometimes Brew & Grow in Schaumburg, b/c I work in S'burg. Otherwise, it'd probably be NB all the time.

Did they move from downtown? First time I was there, they had a real limited selection. They ordered some White Labs Alt yeast for me b/c they had little stock. It arrived in ~4-5 days, which was cool. A few weeks later I wanted another WL yeast - something pedestrian like WLP002 or 007 - and called ahead to see if they had it. Nope. How long would it be if they special ordered it? "About a month." WTF, a month?

First time I went was on a Saturday and the guy there was fairly knowledgeable. He said they were looking at possibly moving out of downtown Aurora, maybe even to Plainfield. The second and last time I went, there was some doofus who didn't know his butt from third base. He didn't know where anything was. SWMBO was even making fun of him behind his back!

Not meaning to shoot down your suggestion. Just hoping they've improved.:) They did offer us a couple of samples, but no mention of a return visit discount card.

I am not sure if you where in the old shop or not? They use to be on Galena and now they are on Downer. I never went to the shop on Galena but I think it was smaller then the current one. I have only been on Saturdays as well and never during the week.

skybrew said:
I am not sure if you where in the old shop or not? They use to be on Galena and now they are on Downer. ...
I think it was the one on Galena. It was upstairs on the 2nd floor.

When is Brew-n-Grow supposed to open their Bolingbrook location? From what Robb says, that's a pretty good store.

I've used Hydrocork a few times. They're basically a grow store, but they'll order whatever you want. Their prices are good too.

Tough to be NB - don't even need to leave my house.

rdwj said:
When is Brew-n-Grow supposed to open their Bolingbrook location? From what Robb says, that's a pretty good store.

I've used Hydrocork a few times. They're basically a grow store, but they'll order whatever you want. Their prices are good too.

Tough to be NB - don't even need to leave my house.
I have used Hydrocork before also, wish they had more inventory so if I need something on brew day I can just make the 5 minute drive to grab it. A Brew-n-Grow in Bolingbrook would be amazing, any idea where it will be?

Demon said:
I have used Hydrocork before also, wish they had more inventory so if I need something on brew day I can just make the 5 minute drive to grab it. A Brew-n-Grow in Bolingbrook would be amazing, any idea where it will be?

No clue unfortunately. Hopefully on the Plainfield / Naperville side!

skybrew said:
Yeah that was the old store, they are all on a the street level now in the new place.
Okay; I'll have to check them out when I am out that way.

As for B&G in B'brook, all they have on their website is this blurb, which doesn't tell you much. The one in Roselle is a pretty good store. Pretty good selection, decent prices and they always has 50lb. bags of two row on hand. They also have homebrew samples to offer. If the one in B'brook is the same, you'll be spending quite a bit of time there.;) Hoping it's near I-355 & I-55 for my own selfish reasons. I could stop on my way home from work and if I'm in a bind on the weekends, it would only be ~a 40 min. drive.

I was just at the Brew N Grow in Roselle (Irving Park) a bit ago. Just needed to pick up some corn sugar for bottling a few batches this weekend.

Anyway... looks like they just scored some hops. They have a bunch of Cascade (not Argentina Cascade), Challenger, Cluster, Glacier, U.S. Kent Goldings, Hallertau, Liberty, Mt. Hood, Perle, Saaz, Spalt, Vanguard that wasn't there when I was there a little less than 2 weeks ago. They limit to 3 oz hop buys unless you're buying ingredients for a whole recipe.

There is also a very very nice 4+ year aged Barleywine on tap to sample.

If you needed a reason to visit the Roselle store, this might be it.

Demon said:
... A Brew-n-Grow in Bolingbrook would be amazing, any idea where it will be?
I was in the Roselle store at lunchtime and asked where in Bolingbrook it will be located. The guy told me they "haven't even found a good location yet." So, it's gonna be awhile.

Demon said:

I live right down the block from HydroCork, I went in for StarSan one day and found the price to be absurd. The cost of the 8oz bottle was comparable to the quart size bottle from Norther Brewer. I work in retail replenishment and understand the need to maintain margin but come on! Being very new to brewing at the time (now I'm just plain new:D ) I cant really comment on their prices, but their supply was rather limited and the guy that was behind the counter had the personality of wall paper. Also suspecting that given their proximity to a hookah bar and their concentration in grow supplies it's only a matter of time before the feds harass 'em out of business.

I'm hoping they open the Brew and Grow in B-brook soon though, too close to where I work!

I convinced SWMBO to attend the brewery tour since we were in town visiting the in-laws. I was really impressed with the tour guide, even though he wasn't one of the "two brothers" he knew his stuff.

The beer was great as well. It was my first time trying Cane & Ebel and I loved it and they also had a tap house only beer, the American Bitter which was an awesome summer beer.

One other thing that really impressed me was that they share their recipes with homebrewers! The bartender told me that they did not share them, but I emailed them and asked and they said to let them know which recipe I wanted and they'd send it to me. I just sent an email requesting the Cane & Ebel and the American bitter recipe. I can't wait to try to reproduce their awesome beers!

And in other good news, during the tour they said that they just started distributing to MN, so I'm looking forward to seeing their beer in liquor stores close to home.

TFS!
Very interested in their Cane and Ebel recipe as I just LOVE it!
I'd have to convert to extract but just to get in the ballpark I'd be way happy.

Back