Leaky taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LegacyBanker

Reaction score
I bought two second-hand forward-sealing taps on (I think) FB Marketplace, and when I installed the first one, it pours beer as soon as you connect to a keg, as if it’s open a little bit, and it won’t fully close. It has a capital P in the front it, in cursive, and he said it was Perlite brand. Has anyone seen this happen before?

Maybe spell check got you but it is Perlick. I don't own Perlicks but if you post a picture someone should be able to tell you the model. There are maintenance kits and perhaps you just need a seal or simply a cleaning if something was stuck in it (like crud). If they appear to be the exact same model, you could also take them apart SEPARATELY and see if perhaps something is different. Being second-hand, there's the possibility someone mucked around with it and changed something, left something out, or assembled it incorrectly. I may have done something wrong with the lever once to where it didn't close fully but I don't remember exactly what it was...

There's a thick black buna rubber o-ring in the front that makes the seal with the ball on the shuttle.
Make sure that o-ring has a little coating of keg lube on it, and is seated correctly. Sometimes flipping it over, back to front, is all it takes to provide a positive seal. Otherwise replace it.

I had Perlick flow-control faucets.They had to be reassembled carefully in order to make them work. I have Nukataps without flow control now, and you just screw them onto your shanks and start pouring beer. I also have Kegland plastic flow-control disconnects.

Google this, and you get 898 results: "'perlick' taps leak site:www.homebrewtalk.com."

Google this, and you get 628, many of which are about perlick leaks: "'"nukatap' taps leak site:www.homebrewtalk.com."

Can you elaborate on that?

Can you elaborate on that?
He's just being a funny guy as per the usual. I have 5 Perlick faucets that are various ages and all going strong after all their use. Like Island Lizard said, just gotta make sure the (little ball) is seating properly on the o-ring and that o-ring is in good shape. The parts for these are cheap and available.

Last edited:
All Perlick had to do was create a one page instruction sheet on how to properly adjust the bonnet on any of the 500-series and 600-series faucets. Once one understands the goal it is trivial to set them up...

Cheers!

Yeah, but then you have to pull the handle, fill a glass, push the handle back... sounds like a lot of work for an over-hyped faucet
HOLY CRAP, BATMAN!!!!! Pull a handle, fill a glass, then push the handle back??? That should handle the cardio exercise requirement for the week, so at least there is a bright side. :ban:

HOLY CRAP, BATMAN!!!!! Pull a handle, fill a glass, then push the handle back??? That should handle the cardio exercise requirement for the week, so at least there is a bright side. :ban:
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Next you're going to tell me that walking a few paces to the kegerator counts as "leg day".

Back