Two Brothers Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesleyS

Reaction score
I'm heading to Chicago later this month and wanted to see what anyone has to say about this brewery. I'm visiting my parents who live in West Chicago which is only about ten minutes away from the Two Brothers Brewery. I'll have my wife and 2 year old with me, so I won't be able to dedicate much time to all the beer related things I'd like to do, but this place seems doable since its so close to where we're staying. I live in Texas, so I haven't had any of their beers. For those who have, do you have any suggestions? Also, any other "can't miss beers" from Chicago I should locate?

Two Brothers is in the middle of their 15th year and is re-releasing 15 of their one-time brews throughout the years. Many of these are really good. Try any they have on hand. If they have any Hop Juice or Hop Juice Black left, try that too. Very good double IPAs. As far as their year-round beers, Resistance is a solid IPA, and Cane And Ebel is a very good "hopped up red rye ale."

If you have any more time in the area check out Solemn Oath Brewery in Naperville. They have amazing belgo-american style beers and delicious hopped up choices as well. Their website is solemnoathbrewery.com.

Just take them out to lunch, you do the tour and get some samplers as a gift. Win win :-look up the tour time so you can plan it out.

cubfan526 said:
If you have any more time in the area check out Solemn Oath Brewery in Naperville. They have amazing belgo-american style beers and delicious hopped up choices as well. Their website is solemnoathbrewery.com.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

gab said:
Ummmmm, domaine dupage, very good. Resistance ipa also very consumable.

Domaine DuPage is definitely on my list to try. When looking on their site, it seemed like one of the ones I'd like.

Two Brother's is also a really homebrewing friendly brewery. They have a homebrew store attached to the front of their brewery. I also emailed them awhile back asking about one of their recipes and they sent me 5 gallon conversions for most of their brews. Not Chicagoland's best, but worth checking out.

This years Cane and Ebel is awful. I had it 2 years ago and it was pretty good but this years has an off flavor that I can not get by.

WesleyS said:
Domaine DuPage is definitely on my list to try. When looking on their site, it seemed like one of the ones I'd like.

Definitely, if you could only have one, that's the one. Their others are fine, but that's the one that seems the most distinctive to my palette.

Btw, basing this on 1/6th barrels, haven't been there in person, but friends who have say the food is good too :). Cheers

Well they have a retro series they use to brew now in bombers,I would say Pillar of Salt is my favorate so far,and their mild ales are very good.
As far as regulars,Resisistance has been my favorate although over the years Im not so shure about it as much as I use to like it, but try a heavy handed also for Ipa's. I think they have some pretty malty beers overall. I think the RedRye they have was one of my favorates as well. Domaine du Page went downhill for me as well for some reason,I use to think it was amazing when I first tried it,I dont know my palate has changed alot too. It seems their beers havnt really been consistant over time and Im pretty shure they change up things like hops, not to mention the hops maynot always be consistanly the same year to year either.

They must be brewing their "heavy handed" beer about now. (two brothers) it's a wet hopped ipa. Really good when I had it two years ago...haven't been able to track it down lately

Two brothers is good and worth visiting, their homebrew shop is sorry but they sell sacks of 2 row for 35 bucks.

Three Floyd's is the best brewery in Chicagoland and a must see
World of beer is an awesome beer bar right near two brothers

Other breweries worth a visit
Revolution
Haymarket
Piece(great new haven style pizza)
Goose island is not my fav but people do like it.

Other great beer bars
The map room--a must if you are into Belgians
Hop leaf, interesting gastro pub with lots of rarities(pricey)
Jaks tap, decent bar food and respectable beer list

L

Two Brothers is OK, food is hit and miss. Depends on what you're looking for.

Two Brothers
Three Floyds - Munster Indiana (about an hour away from Two Brothers)
Solemn Oath - Naperville NOT A BREWPUB. They are a brewery with a sampling type room up front. Guy who started it learned brewing at Rock Bottom. Good beer. Be sure to check website for hours as they change, I think they are only open thur-sat right now, evenings. But check.
World of Beer No food, but you can bring it in from restaraunts withing walking distance. Awesome selection of brews.

I really love and miss Two Brothers (moved to No Beer Mid Minnesota). Cain and Ebel was pretty amazing from what I remember, their Domain Dupage is awesome as well. I remember liking their golden ale as well.

If you can, North side of the city is a tiny brewer called HalfAcre, amazing beer. I used to live close to them. Their OverAle is killer, and their golden ale, Gossamer is really good too.

Hopleaf bar is right near there two and was my favorite bar for good beers.

Two brothers is awesome! The tour is pretty cool. The roundhouse in Aurora is also really cool.

Try some Hop Juice or Hop Juice Black if you can find it. I was @ the brewery a few months ago and they were out. Outlaw and Kane and Ebel are pretty good too.

Try Moloko and Alpha King from 3 Floyd's.

Stone 9.21.12 ( I read in the tribune it's only availible in a few cities besides SoCal)

Check out House Pub in Saint Charles. It's just the road from West Chicago. Over 150 caft beers and is usually pretty quiet during the day.

The Geneva Ale House also has quite a selection and is pretty close to West Chicago also.

Thanks guys. I knew I'd get some good suggestions. I plan on bringing back as much beer as I can. I'll be driving, not flying, so I won't be limited on space that can be used for bringing back beer that I can't get in Texas.

You should also check out Binny's Beverage Depot. They're all over but there's one in Geneva.

They must be brewing their "heavy handed" beer about now. (two brothers) it's a wet hopped ipa. Really good when I had it two years ago...haven't been able to track it down lately

Released Monday the 10th.

+1 for Binny's, they carry a lot of the 15 year special releases. Sometimes they hide them in the back, just ask the guy working there. The Red Eye coffee porter was really popular. I enjoyed Pillar of Salt. Looking forward to their Tripel, getting released soon.

Cane & Ebel is probably their most popular, it's a good beer. I really enjoy their Weiss beer. I also enjoy their new Outlaw IPA (in cans). I would pass on the Atom Smasher Oktoberfest. Their wet hop IPA is good, though I prefer their Resistance IPA.

The taphouse is a cool place, complete with homebrew shop waiting room. Personally, I would skip the tour. It's not much "brewing" info, more a history of the brewery. Oh, and they have unique homemade soda for the kids. Food is fine.

Thanks guys. I knew I'd get some good suggestions. I plan on bringing back as much beer as I can. I'll be driving, not flying, so I won't be limited on space that can be used for bringing back beer that I can't get in Texas.

If you live in houston you'll be driving right by 3floyds....do not miss it, and its the only reliable place to purchase their bottled beers.

Binnys is another not miss if you are taking beer back.

This location has a tap room with rarities

1132 S. Jefferson St. Chicago, IL 60607

Xpertskir said:
If you live in houston you'll be driving right by 3floyds....do not miss it, and its the only reliable place to purchase their bottled beers.

Binnys is another not miss if you are taking beer back.

This location has a tap room with rarities

1132 S. Jefferson St. Chicago, IL 60607

Yep, I'll be coming from Houston. I'll be passing close to three floyds so I might just make a detour. It'll be the second day of driving and being in the car with a 2 year old who loves to throw fits so I'll be ready to have a drink or three by that time.
My mom has told me a lot about Binny's so I'll definitely be checking them out for all the stuff I can't get here.

I decided to stop at Three Floyds today on our way to Chicago. I'm very glad I did. I enjoyed the beer I tried and the brewpub is pretty cool. I bought a sixer of Pride and Joy and Gumballhead, a bomber of Topless Wytch, and a pint glass.
The ones I tried on tap were:
Right to left:
Pride and Joy
Robert the Bruce
Alpha King
Dreadnaught

image-532003941.jpg

And Moloko

image-3197182519.jpg

Going to Two Brothers on Saturday or Sunday.

I just left the Two Brothers Brewery. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. My parents live only 10 minutes from there and I have a feeling that will be one of their new favorite places. My dad is almost strictly a BMC drinker and he liked about four or five of their beers and they loved the food. I was proud of him. The food was great, the beer was great, and the tour, although as a homebrewer I could've stepped in and given it minus the brewery history, was well done. I definitely think it is a must see in the West Chicago area. My favorite beer by far was their cask conditioned heavy handed IPA. Having all these well done IPAs from Two Brothers and Three Floyds on this trip have really helped me appreciate IPAs. Thanks everybody for your suggestions and comments. I'll be hitting up Binny's before leaving to grab some additional beer to take home with me along with what I bought from Three Floyds and Two Brothers.

Well, I'm home from Chicago. I ended up visiting Three Floyds once and Two Brothers twice. The first time I went to Two Brothers I sampled everything they were pouring that day and the second time I sampled two others they weren't pouring the first time, a Biere de Garde and a Blonde Double Bock. I was very impressed with their beer and food in their brewpub. I also visited a Binny's in Naperville for some more beer to bring home. Below is a picture of my full haul from this trip.

image-2638738818.jpg

Top to bottom and left to right:

Three Floyds pint glass, Two Brothers pint glass.
Makers Mark gift set. I know its not beer but I bought this because I love bourbon and it was 10 dollars cheaper than at home and came with two glasses.
Three Floyds Gumballhead and Pride & Joy, Founders Porter, Two Brothers Domaine DuPage and Heavy Handed, Goose Island Harvest Ale, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Goose Island Honker's Ale.
Southern Tier Creme Brûlée Stout, Three Floyds Topless Wytch, Two Brothers Red Rye Coffee Porter, 2010 Samichlaus, Southern Tier Double Milk Stout, Shipwrecked Cherry Wheat, Bell's Oberon, Bell's Porter, Goose Island Sofie 2012, Founders Breakfast Stout.

Next time you're in the area, be sure to check out the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle. About 5 minutes east on Ogden from the Binny's your probably went to. Good beer on tap (Three Floyds, Revolution, Smutty Nose etc), and an huge selection of bottled craft beers.

Three Floyds is definitely where it's at!! Two Brothers is just okay. They had an aged Hop Juice that was AWESOME. Not a huge fan of Hop Juice or Hop Juice Black.

Back