Two best hop combos for Brett C IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I am building Brett C yeast now for an all Brett 100% fermentation this weekend. Brett C as a primary yeast throws a faint pineapple ester, so I want to accentuate this fruitiness with late hops that wont mask flavors.

I built a recipe with Citra/Mosaic as my hop bill, but I may want to reconsider if I can get feedback.

I have the following IPA appropriate hops in sufficient quantity on hand, so if I don't have it listed I wont have time to get anything else in.

Onhand:

Amarillo
Cascade
Sorachi Ace
Galaxy
Nelson Sauvin
Moteuka
Mosaic
Citra

I still feel Citra/Mosaic is a winner, but if you have other proven suggestions, please respond. Thanks.

I like Nelson and Motueka or Citra and Nelson.
Moteuka/Nelson

The reason I asked for opinions is good ideas usually spawn from experimentation. Of course terrible ideas can be spawned as well, so our brewing community would likely see potential mistakes and call them out.

I am especially fond of Nelson. I did a single hop low ABV with just Nelson this summer and it was outstanding. If I try this combo, I may build the ratios a bit heavier on the Moteuka and use .5 or .75 oz of Nelson per oz of Moteuka.

Good suggestions.

Nelson is really nice in American IPAs, but works very well in saisons, belgian pale/IPAs, tripel, etc.

Motueka is a very interesting hops, I used together with Mosaic in a Red IPA and worked really well.

As you also pointed out, Motueka is not as powerful as Nelson, so it is a good idea to go 2:1 in favor of Motueka.

I'm finding Citra too flowery and overpowering now - I've had too many over hopped AIPAs (used to love them and they got me in to brewing - but liking more subtlety now)

I have started using a lot more Cascade and really enjoying that so I'd say Cascade / Mosaic or just Cascade

With just the hops I have on hand, there are a good many combinations I could come up with. I only wish I had the time and equipment to brew multiple combos so I could compare them side by side at once.

Well, this one has the potential to be interesting:

Brett C as a 100% primary yeast. This beer went from 1.055 down to 1.018 in ONE DAY at 80F. I dropped down to 75F and the SG dropped slowly down to 1.008 by the second week.

Galaxy 1 oz, Moteuka 1 oz at 5 min

Galaxy .5 oz, Moteuka 1 oz at FO

I ran out of Moteuka

Galaxy 1 oz, Cascade 2 oz at WP 170F

Galaxy 1 oz, Cascade 2 oz dry hop 4 days

We shall see what this one is like as I am just ready to keg, lower temp and start carbing. It may surprise me and be drinkable. Had to adjust on the fly as I only had a small amount of Moteuka. Hope for a fruit bomb with a hint of lime from the Moteuka.

I'm finding Citra too flowery and overpowering now - I've had too many over hopped AIPAs (used to love them and they got me in to brewing - but liking more subtlety now)

I have started using a lot more Cascade and really enjoying that so I'd say Cascade / Mosaic or just Cascade

Exactly the same here, I do not know about mosaic though, would swap it for the peachy amarillo.

Back