Twine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattm3

Reaction score
I have hops growing in my yard. It's the second year. Last year they didn't get all that tall. This year they are already near 9 feet it seems. I have one plant and I put it next to this odd swing frame that is in my yard. It's a large upside down "U" about 8 feet tall made of 4" steel pipe. The first bine that came up, I trained to the pipe. It wrapped around the pipe with no problem then once it got about 5 feet, I tied a long bamboo pole to the pipe and trained it up that. It's now growing fine up that and beyond my reach.

My question is this... what is the reason that hops is grown in a single bine up a piece of twine? Can't I just grow as many bines that come up straight up this metal pipe and let them grow how they want? I can still harvest them with a ladder. I've seen them grow in the wild and they just grow all over the place. What's the purpose in training them up a single twine? Any reason other than ease in harvesting?

I am no expert by any means.. But from what I have read, choosing the largest/strongest of the bines, culling the remainder, allows a developed root structure to focus it energy on developing cones on the strongest bines, yielding a larger harvest than typical on many bines from the same root ball..

JamieT's correct. For the first few years you want only a few bines to grow so the plant can concentrate on root growth and cone creation, instead of wasting energy on stems. After the third year you can let them go crazy if you want, but I'd suggest still doing some culling.

OK, thanks. In the first year I only let one bine grow. Now in the second year, I let two grow. I'll probably experiment with it and see what works best for me.

In the 1st year let them all grow.This is what builds your crown.2nd year 3 to 5 bines on a rope.Lots of nitrogen and zinc till mid july them potassium for blossom Cheers Glen

Twine is cheap and makes the harvest easy.

As far as growing all over, you should see some of the hop and blackberry brambles we have here.

You can grow more than one bine up twine. I do about 5-8(I plant 5 rhizomes/hill). And no, you don't have to grow it up twine. Heck, I allow it grab onto whatever it wants in the front yard(decor) and use twine in the back yard(mainly for harvest-purpose only). The only thing I have to watchout for is high volumes of pests in dense leaves.
Your hops will be fine.

Back