TVs with an ACTUAL 120hz refresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, saving electricity is good. However, my intuition tells me that even a super powerful sound rig couldn't use more than a couple bucks worth of juice in a month of listening. Even if it's loud. Even if your rate is high. Rock on!

Got a "kill-a-watt" meter widget? It'd check your 7.1 system's actual usage - surely far less than the theoretical max.

Okay, saving electricity is good. However, my intuition tells me that even a super powerful sound rig couldn't use more than a couple bucks worth of juice in a month of listening. Even if it's loud. Even if your rate is high. Rock on!

Got a "kill-a-watt" meter widget? It'd check your 7.1 system's actual usage - surely far less than the theoretical max.

actually even just left ideling it boosts my bill by 20-30$ a month...yes i have a kill-a-watt meter....the reciever and sub burn so much, i have to actually plug them into a power strip, to seriously turn them off!

After 2-3 pints of homebrewed malt likker, does the "refresh rate" of the TV really matter?

YES! in fact it matters more! a few drinks in me, and it's almost like i can count the flashes!

Brac's eyes are clearly more sensitive than mine.

:mug: my projector is dying too...think when it actually dies, going 120hz on it too... and being 1080p is plenty res for me, i don't think it's my eyes, but my brain.

Holy shirt! I read about internet modem / router power use and got a "xmas tree timer" for them so they're off while I'm asleep. Power strip works too unless you forget... How could that happen?!

well my power company has a website i can log into and keep track of daily usage also. when i started shutting off my reciever with the power strip my usage went from 15kWh a day, down to 7-8kWh a day....at 11.8 cents a kWh...it adds up, and being i'm not ACTUALLY using it to listen to music or anything most of the time, no brainer to kill the juice.

My main audio rig uses ~70 watts when all devices are on and volume is moderate. That's about 50kWh/month if on 7x24x30. Sounds like your receiver is something of a hog...

that's what my kill-a-watt said too. ~80 watts, but still i figured mightest well turn it off, glad i did! of course my kill-a-watt tells me my 1500 watt hot plate only uses 1200 watts....

i almost forgot, i started truning my TV off too at night. and streaming netflix on a $40 RCA tablet....

also i have 2x12" Subs powered with a ~1000 watt amp....

but yeah that thing was a power hog! one way or the other.....

hate to revive this, but do LCDs have a set refresh like their resolution....my 660 is pushing this at 165hz with the new display port cable...

but it still looks like it's flashing. back in the late 90's on a crt the difference between even 60hz and 100hz was night and day? is it the LED back light, or floursecent now?

it does seem like the pictue is crisper, but the light is still flashing?

Bracc, I'm becoming concerned. (half smile icon goes here)

Most monitors will tell you (some kind of "info" feature) what rez and refresh rate they're doing, whatever their input may be receiving. On an on screen menu. btw, I suspect some still use fluorescent backlight.

Oh, btw, maybe visit a non-chain-store optometrist who has the time to help figure out your vision situation?

It should not do that.
How obvious is the flashing? Is it periodically, when you move the mouse or something or playing an HD movie? Or incidentally, and for no apparent reason?

Can you record the flashing?

not that kind of flashing...i'd guess if i had a counter to count the flashes a second, well i'm just saying it's flickering light...not the image?

Bracc, I'm becoming concerned. (half smile icon goes here)

Most monitors will tell you (some kind of "info" feature) what rez and refresh rate they're doing, whatever their input may be receiving. On an on screen menu. btw, I suspect some still use fluorescent backlight.

Oh, btw, maybe visit a non-chain-store optometrist who has the time to help figure out your vision situation?

both my comp, and monitor say 165hz.

so you're all saying, you don't notice the flickering of the lights in like a grocery store?

i got curious and looked up US 120v AC hz, it's only 60hz...maybe that's the problem.....

edit: now i'm wondering if it's down voltaged to 12v or whatever, maybe a better adapter would solve it?

edit 2: and i've got it plugged into something without a ground, but the adapter has a ground prong? 🤔

Last edited:
Certainly I've been bothered by defective/failing fluorescent lights - sometimes extremely. When new, not so much. But some folks are just more sensitive to this kind of thing.

LG's web site sez this model has "Flicker Safe" (wtf?) but is silent re backlight. So I'm thinking fluorescent. Also sez flicker may occur with MBR - you be want to be sure that's not enabled.

Certainly I've been bothered by defective/failing fluorescent lights - sometimes extremely. When new, not so much. But some folks are just more sensitive to this kind of thing.

LG's web site sez this model has "Flicker Safe" (wtf?) but is silent re backlight. So I'm thinking fluorescent. Also sez flicker may occur with MBR - you be want to be sure that's not enabled.

damn THANKS! i turned off both "fast response time" and "adaptive sync", and being that it acted like a whole new monitor, being i have three plugged in, and i had to reboot and unplug all the others to get it to recognize it as primary....

it's too soon to tell for sure, but i think you did it for me!

:mug:

damn THANKS! i turned off both "fast response time" and "adaptive sync", and being that it acted like a whole new monitor, being i have three plugged in, and i had to reboot and unplug all the others to get it to recognize it as primary....

it's too soon to tell for sure, but i think you did it for me!

:mug:
Wonderful if so. Settings on modern TVs and - apparently also - gaming monitors can do strange things.

Wonderful if so. Settings on modern TVs and - apparently also - gaming monitors can do strange things.

so far, this thing with the 'features' (gimmicks) turned off has a higher refresh then real life...i think that works at 30 fps for me still from my childhood :(

🤣 :mug:

And the TV didn't seem to flicker? Maybe flicker sensitivity can get worse (or better) with age? With beer? Enjoy the new monitor.

are you kidding? i could damn almost see it line by line! i just would hope better for this day and age! i mean i picked up a used projector to play MAME arcade games on while laying in bed for $80.....pretty cool living like that, still remembering stealing quarters from my dad to play bubble bobble at 7 eleven.....now to shove a quarter in i just hit a keyboard key, and lay back in bad playing on a 100" 1080p screen...i'm still working on my second kegerator, so i don't have to get up to fill a glass though...

Latest posts

Back